giant watermelon contest for $25,000 to set New World Record

bigtomatotaste(z7)March 30, 2004

snapple beverages is sponsoring a $25,000 contest to break the current world record 262 lbs for watermelon set bill carson in 1990.

the contest being open to all 50 states with winner being

the biggest watermelon grow over current record by sept 30 2004.

Here is a link that might be useful: the link to the snapple what a watermelon challenge.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ecapatos

Cool, but I live in Canada. Just imagine eating such a big melon!

Bookmark   April 1, 2004 at 3:29PM
Songsmith(z7GA)

I checked out the info on the watermelon contest and just might try to grow a giant melon. They seem to take the southern heat so much better than pumpkins. And even if i can't beat the 262 pound mark, I think it would be fun to take a truly huge watermelon over to the local little league fields and share it with the kids. Giant melon , here I come.
Wayne

Bookmark   April 1, 2004 at 8:44PM
jadedgardener(z3, ND)

This is just the challenge for me! This will be loads of fun just to try. Can't wait to see what comes up, let's keep each other posted on our progress.
Jade;-)

Bookmark   April 8, 2004 at 11:49AM
Ronnn(Zone 8)

Dang, I'd love to give it a shot. I held the State cucumber record in Florida for almost three years, and regularly grew melons well over 100 pounds. Here's one with my young'uns:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 9, 2004 at 7:38AM
bigtomatotaste(z7)

ron what is state cucumber record for florida

Bookmark   April 9, 2004 at 12:00PM
Ronnn(Zone 8)

I don't know what it is now, to be honest. I tried calling a few years ago to see if I could get a copy of my certificate, since my 'evil ex' took it, and was told they had stopped keeping those records. If I lived in Florida that wuld definitely be genrating some 'political' action on my part to get them to start up again. I also don't remember the actual weight either, but the length was 21 3/4 inches long, and what really surprised Tom McCubbin (The Agricultural Extension Agent for Orange county at the time) Was the variety, a Burpees Burpless, #13. Not a small cucumber, but not one generally expected to grow to record type size. And it really was pretty tasty.

It was in 91 that we broke the old record. When I lost it, I got beat pretty good, if memory serves, like by about 10 ounces.

Bookmark   April 10, 2004 at 12:45AM
melonmagician(Zone 8a N.Texas)

262 pounda iS A MIGHTY feat..i believe its possible that bob dwyer the melon man might do it...heh course i might as well...with some divine intervention

Here is a link that might be useful: melonman.com

Bookmark   May 9, 2004 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Compost Tea?
Add the Compost to your garden forget the tea. Good...
tohechito
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon
I grow Carolina Cross watermelons for sport. Five days...
coolvol
Gaint tomatoes
Can anyone recommend a gaint tomato variety for southern...
cdsj
pumpkins crossing with small gourds
what do you get when you cross a pumpkin with a small...
Fableman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™