columnea melissa

vtstarMarch 9, 2008

Someone recently put up a link to a great site for columnea and other plants. If I had not seen the link and gone for a look, I would have really wondered what my plant was up to. Thanks to the link I now know it is fruiting instead of blooming this round. They are very interesting looking and both my plants are doing the same thing. Recently I had a reason to order some plants and included two more columnea's, a yellow one "Goldilocks" and a red one "Firebird" and can't wait for them to start blooming.

Janice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harrywitmore(Zone7 NC)

Very cool Janice. Columnea are one of my favorite Gessies. I have a small Goldilocks and it never seems to stop flowering. I'm partial to the species though. It will be interesting to see what you can grow once the berries mature.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 7:44AM
vtstar

Since this is the first time they went to berries I have no idea what to expect. Does this mean they are actually seed pods? This plant is sort of a burnt orange, I also had some Firebird and Goldilocks blooming about the same time that I noticed the berries. So if they are indeed seeds they probably crossed with them, wonder how hard it is to start them from seed? Suggestions anyone? Janice

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 9:19PM
harrywitmore(Zone7 NC)

Once the berries mature you should remove them and get a plain piece of copy paper. Smash the berries and smear it on the paper. Let the pulp dry out and then remove the small black seeds from the pulp. You can them sow them in a good potting mix or even long fiber sphagnum.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 6:32PM
vtstar

Thanks for the information on how to deal with the seeds. I have about 5 berries, they were originally sort of pink and are now bleaching out to a white over the 3 months since I noticed them. Think I will wait another week or two then pick one as a test subject and see how it goes. This should be interesting.... Janice

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™