Canadian sources

cgjediMarch 27, 2010

Does anybody know of some reputable sources in Canada for Lipstick plants and/or Columnea? I have heard of the one near Victoria with "harbor" in the name - but they have a really bad reputation. There used to be others that sold on ebay in the past, but their sites are not working now.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi,

The Violet Barn sells Lipstick plants and Columnea and ship to Canada. Here is that link:

The Violet Barn

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:46AM
maureen_ottawa(z4)

Yes, I agree you shouldn't try that particular source. The best source is African violet club or Gesneriad club shows. There should be lots available at the American Gesneriad Society convention in Vancouver this year.

Violets4you sells on e-bay and carries some columnea. She may have some lipstick plants too, but I know she was going to stop carrying them as they took too much space.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 2:11PM
mdahms1979

I stumbled across Mountian View Tropicals while looking for a Canadian source of Gesneriads.

Mike

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 11:44AM
susan05_rogers_com

I am looking to obtain rhizomes or seeds for Smithiantha "temple Bells" especially want Clara Curtis.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 1:45PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Susan -

I never saw Smithiantha "Clara Curtis".

Anyway - there are 2 vendors that always carry Smithianthas -
belislesviolethouse.com
lauray.com

You cannot get seeds of the named hybrid - they only propagate through the rhizomes. You can order seeds of the species from Gesneriad Society seed fund if you are a member.
You can look on ebay - and the seller "sallys_garden" has rhizomes od different varieties and seeds of his own smithiantha crosses. If you grow new plants and you like the hybrids - you can contacty the hybridizer and agree on how to name the hybrid. He would give you the prefix - and you will come with the rest - somehing like Florida - Susan's Bikini

Good Luck

irina

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
What have we here?
Grown from a forgotten seed batch: Some kind of Kohleria...
rusty_blackhaw
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™