strep and sun

winnjoe(MTL)March 29, 2005

My streps are not picking up and are sort of weak and pale looking. I've heard they like southern windows in the winter so I tried that and lost a lot of leaves. Maybe this far north a southern winter window is too sunny. What do you suggest? 'near' a southern window? a gauzy curtain? under lights?

Joe, Winnipeg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

I placed my Streptocarpus 'Falling Stars' on a glaringly sunny southern windowsill from December until the beginning of this month (March) and it absolutely loved it. It never once lost its deep green color or stopped producing countless flower buds. I noticed that the leaves produced with this much sunshine tended to be much more compact than the shade-produced leaves. However, the plant started to look a bit pouty with the increasingly strong sun rays of spring so it is now in a very bright eastern window and is now a gigantic mass of bloom.

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 10:02PM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

Streps do well under lights. Almost all gesneriads do well under lights unless they get too tall. If the plants are sickly it could be something else--crown rot? bugs? bad soil mix? who knows? Try propagation. That usually is the best way to cope. Put down leaves and get some backups going. Have more than one of a given variety, so that you can try them in different locations, mixes, etc. Enclosing plants under plastic or in terrariums under lights is often a great way to revive a sick plant.

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 4:37PM
maureen_ottawa(z4)

Joe,

Sun is probably not your problem. I have grown streps at my south and my east windows. The only problem I've had was burning of the leaves in spring at the east window.

I am wicking all of my streps and feeding them half strength Schultz fertilizer. The soil mix is 3:2:2, soilless mix:perlite:vermiculte. You might want to check for soil mealy bugs too.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
Need more Streps like this one
This is Heartland's White Gold which I've had for nearly...
terrilou
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™