Giant tomato

tomato_dude(z4 mn)March 12, 2004

Anyone willing to share info on the giant variety they are

growing for the big one?

Ron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brugboi2003

Delicious Red Tomatoes is the variety that holds the record at over 7 pounds! It is sold at www.giantsofthegarden.com

:~)
John

Bookmark   March 12, 2004 at 7:47PM
justmee(7 Okla.)

Do you do something to the plants to get large tomatoes? Like pinch off all but the one bloom? I'm new to tomatoes.

Bookmark   March 13, 2004 at 2:51PM
brugboi2003

Once the fruit starts growing, yes, you do cut all of the rest of the maters off, until you pick that one, but, you can in fact have more then one fruit in each plant, maybe up to 3, or 4? Just water, and fertilize well, with mictonutriants.

John

Bookmark   March 13, 2004 at 4:54PM
Booboo(z5a IN)

What kind of micronutrients/brand name do you use? Are you talking something like SuperThrive?

Thanks,
Boo

Bookmark   March 13, 2004 at 5:35PM
brugboi2003

Kelp, or fish emulsion, I am using a kelp powder this spring. Stinks SOOO bad when you get it wet, but is SOOO good for plants!

You can get kelp and or fish emulsion at http://www.neptunesharvest.com/ This is what Bruce Whittier uses, the guy that grew the biggest pumpkin ever grown weighed. It is good for all kinds of plants, use it as a foliar spray once, or twice a week

John

Bookmark   March 13, 2004 at 7:02PM
Booboo(z5a IN)

Thanks ... I already have some fish emulsion. Also I have Maxicrop which might be good also?

Boo

Bookmark   March 16, 2004 at 8:52PM
bigtomatotaste(z7)

the record is 7 lb 12 oz set 1986 by gordon graham of edmon
Ok USA

Bookmark   March 20, 2004 at 1:33PM
slc00(zone4 up MI)

I am growing Big Zac. Last year I had a tomato over 3 lbs and nearly as big as a dinner plate that came from a poor plant that was starved of light and water for 10 days as a seedling and still produced huge fruit without any special care. I started half of my plants from the same purchased seed and half from the harvested seed of my largest tomato last year. I used blossom spray and protected the flower from cross pollination so I am confident that the tomato produced last year was not hybrid. So far the plants from home grown seed are twice the size of the others. I am hoping to get a big one if summer ever gets here.

Bookmark   July 7, 2004 at 10:34AM
slc00(zone4 up MI)

p.s. I also use neptune's harvest (great stuff!). There are tests that could not confirm Super Thrive's claims so I will not try it. I use granite dust mixed into my soil for minerals needed. Kelp in the neptune's harvest also takes care of minerals, vitamines, as well as enzymes that produce growth hormone to the plant roots. I also brew compost tea to add beneficial bacteria and fungi to the soil which attach to the roots and literaly push the nutrients into the plants.

Bookmark   July 7, 2004 at 2:10PM
bigtomatotaste(z7)

super thrive is mostly to help plants when transplanting them.

Bookmark   July 7, 2004 at 3:50PM
slc00(zone4 up MI)

This is my giant from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Big Zac Tomato nearly 4lbs

Bookmark   July 14, 2004 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
What is on my Pumpkins??
I live in Oklahoma. My pumpkins (Big Max variety) seemed...
nopeeking
mega-cabbage
Hello....I have been searching for information on preventing...
nurseliberty
Contact Info for Brian Moore?
To all, Had some questions for Brian about Giant sunflowers,...
KSOhio
giant pumpkins and SVB
I want to try and grow giant pumpkins this year. Do...
zzackey
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™