I got ribbons!

mwedzi(chicago)March 21, 2005

Well, I got one yellow for my terrarium (there was no blue in that class). One red for my Streptocarpella 'Concord Blue'. And three blues. One for the unusual container class, where I had Bristol's Ribbon Candy strep in a candle (I spent a long time hollowing out the inside of that candle). One for P. begoniifolia, who got a little bigger than what's posted in the gallery. And one for the Streptocarpus 'Bethan', which also got a special award and so got to be on the big table with in the center with the best in show (Kohleria 'Texas Rainbow' exhibited in the foliage class by its hybridizer, Dale Martens) and Episcia 'Jim's Black Ace' (I think that's what it's called, exhibited by Gary Mikita, who sales lots of episcias and streps - see his ads in AVSA mag). Considering who else was on the table, I was pretty proud.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
james_ny(z7 NY)

Congrats on a great plant. Lots of blooms. Wish my streps bloomed like that.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 10:04PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Yaay, Nikki! That's great! Beautiful plant. Maybe we could see the rest of them? Always love to see pictures.
Nancy

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 1:45AM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

WAy to go Nikki! Isn't it fun to win. Of course we aren't competitive at all, but still its.... (hehehe) a good feeling all the same. Your strep looks really fine. You've groomed it and its at its peak. The foliage looks very nice, and you have lots of flowers. My favorite time to see the show is after all the set up and staging has been done and before the judging happens. That's when all the plants are perfect and fresh, and the competition aspect is still mysterious. Then I love to see the show again when its all judged and the special plants are on their table. To me, the fact that gesneriad judging is such an inexact science, makes it all the better. There are no hard and fast rules--its a matter of judgement (that's why they're called "judges").

Now, today, I better get my registration for the convention in! I mustn't put it off any longer........I've got a few things to do first. (will he do it???)

Jon

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 2:26PM
Cat_Gal(z10, S. CA)

Great growing, Mwedzi! With pictures like that, I'm tempted to get me a strep, too. Congrats!

-CG

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 3:01PM
mwedzi(chicago)

Nancy, being the ditz that I am, I forgot my camera both days, so I don't have any pics of my own. That pic was taken by Dale Martens. I'm waiting for other members of my club to send me some of theirs. When they do, I'll be sure to post them.

Pre-judging is definitely the best time. It's quiet, anticipation. By the time I got my plants home, many of them had lost flowers and had broken leaves from being boxed up in small boxes. What can I say, it's still freakin winter here (i hate this place!!), so it was better to keep them warm in a little box than to have their flower stalks upright but get hit with 30 degree air.

Well, I'm going to go take a rest. I put together a baker's rack like someone else posted (who was it, was it Larry?) today. And I saw the Ring Two, so it's time for me to go huddle under a light now.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 9:44PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hey Nikki,

Nice going! That is a wonderful looking streptocarpus! It sounds like you've made out really fantastic.

I am glad to hear that you are putting together a Baker's rack. I think you will really injoy it. You will have so much more room for more gessies so you can win more blue ribbons next year.

Again, congratulations.

Larry

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 12:03AM
vickster257(Z7aNJ)

Way to go! I am so envious in a good way but so happy for you -- the plant looks great and by the way, so do you!!!

Vicki

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 10:11AM
maggie99(8)

Nikki, that is so exciting!!! Way to grow girl!!! I would be sooooo proud! I remember my first (and only) ribbons, as well as the first show I had ever seen, That was in Sacrameto at the convention, where I was lucky enough to be able to show as a novice. I am not sure anyone else won a ribbon otherwise except Bill Price, who I might add, had the best grown Gesneriads this girl had ever seen. Just kidding about Bill taking all of them, I think....LOL

Great pic of a beautiful Strep and lady!!!

Quoting Jon "Now, today, I better get my registration for the convention in! I mustn't put it off any longer........I've got a few things to do first. (will he do it???)

Jon"

Jon, no you didn't, unless you put it in the mail. hehe

Maggie

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 8:06PM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

Whaddayamean I didn't register. Why I registered, oh, um, er, doh, about half a minute ago. It was the cats' fault. First one was on my lap and I couldn't type. Then later on, my wallet with my card was in my shirt which was on the bed with the other cat napping on it. So that's my excuse. Blame Charlie and Lorenzo.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 2:21AM
More Discussions
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
A couple of house plants
A few years ago I decided to get rid of Michaels fake...
bouldergrower
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?
I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was...
treehugger101
Sponsored Products
The Little Chiller Party Table - 1LCT0516
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Fusion Polished Chrome Two-Light Wide Oval Finial Wall Sconce with Opal Glass
$198.00 | Bellacor
Slither Dining Side Chair in White
$99.00 | LexMod
iWavei Crystal iPhone 5 Case with Light Sapphire Swarovski Elements
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Bruck | Pia I Pendant Light
$206.25 | YLighting
Newton Oriental Sapphire Super Kazak 5'x7' Hand Knotted Wool Pakistani Rug H3956
BH Sun Inc
Hydro Systems Chagall 7238 Freestanding Tub
Modern Bathroom
Aspen Forest I Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$79.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™