Nephew's sunflowers: going, going...

mark4321_gwMay 8, 2008

I'm raising some sunflowers with my little nephew. Things have been fine until the last week. Suddenly the snails or perhaps biting insects are going wild (we have a hard time with those and can't bait them). Aphids have appeared and are crinklig the new growth, and the most frightening thing--possibly rust? has appeared and looks like it could take a major toll.

So we may have to start over soon. Does anyone have any favorites I might find in a local nursery? In terms of brands, I know we have Renee's, Seeds of Change and Ferry Morse (and I'm sure others). Varieties I've noticed in the past are the Mammoth varieties (I seem to remember these when I was a kid) and Sunzilla (I like the name).

Anyone? If no input we'll probably try Sunzilla.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorigarden

All your sources are good ones. look for the giant ones. i'm in northern ca

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 11:01PM
glaswegian(5b, Ont)

Here are mine, got them sent to me by Brian, the record breaker on here. I am in Ontario Canada by the way

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 7:46PM
mark4321_gw

Strange as it sounds, it turns out much of the damage to my nephew's plants was caused by birds--I believe finches--eating the leaves. I've witnessed it firsthand as have others. It's also been reported a number of times online. Below is a link to the Sacramento Bee which describes the problem. Anyone else experience this?

By the way, to my amazement my nephew's plants have mostly recovered. They are now over 8 feet and still growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finches eat sunflower leaves

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon
I grow Carolina Cross watermelons for sport. Five days...
coolvol
Peppers
I planted two peppers together in a large pot. One...
Mrainey1234
mega-cabbage
Hello....I have been searching for information on preventing...
nurseliberty
giant pumpkin
here is the pumpkin i grew last year it had a 308"...
TravisE
pumpkins crossing with small gourds
what do you get when you cross a pumpkin with a small...
Fableman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™