how to weight giant pumpkins?

veilchen(5b southern Maine)May 4, 2005

I'm proposing a giant pumpkin contest for our town's fall Pumpkin Fest. This contest will likely be on a much smaller scale than the county fairs, but hopefully we'll get some good-size pumpkins downtown for the kids to see.

What is generally used to weigh the pumpkins? Someone suggested borrowing "meat scale" from local grocery store.

I also posted in the veg. forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rainydays(4 WI)

You are going to need sopmething larger than a meat scale. Something that can handle 500-1500lbs. A platform scale of some sort will be needed. We rent one from a certified scale company. A shipping scale or warehouse scale will be needed.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 12:53PM
douglas14(z3/4 MN)

Do you have any local potato farms, with packaging warehouses? I worked at a local one for a couple of years, and they had scales that weighed over 2000 lbs. (used to weigh large totes).

Douglas

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 8:31PM
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

The city is going to contact local farms and see if they have something. I don't think we have a potato farm/packaging warehouse anywhere near here.

Rainydays, could you tell me approx. how much it costs to rent from the scale co.?

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 7:38AM
rainydays(4 WI)

Get them to sponsor it for the free advertising :) A banner saying scales provided by.....

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 9:19AM
Maxpower(5 MA.)

i did the same ting i few years ago for my town, i ended up having to supply my own scale, you can rent them.

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
have Giant Pink Banana Squash seeds
grown organically squash are at least 30/40 lb
lindamarie
Giant Tomatoes
Anyone else into growing these? I am new, but loving...
hardeng
giant pumpkin
here is the pumpkin i grew last year it had a 308"...
TravisE
Compost Tea?
Add the Compost to your garden forget the tea. Good...
tohechito
Avocado Seed
I was wondering if I'd be successful at growing an...
naturalstuff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™