Will my Rosemarys Come Back?

susaninnorthga(Zone 7)April 20, 2010

My Rosemary bushes had a hard time during the very cold winter we had, they looked dead so I pruned them back and am wondering if they will come back. I have never had any problems with them staying evergreen and making it through the winter here in Rome, Ga before. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Susan.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bagsmom(7)

Susan -- mine aren't looking very good either. I'm in Marietta. I'm wondering if I'll have to get new ones.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 1:34PM
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

We lost one also. Each of our neighbors on either side lost one also. The only one we didn't lose is tucked up under an awning that gets no water, so I'm inclined to believe that all the rain we got last year is what actually killed them off.

I cut ours back to the stump just to make sure it's gone. If nothing sprouts by this time next month, I'm planting another, or some similar low-growing evergreen edible herb.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 2:20PM
susaninnorthga(Zone 7)

I didn't think about them getting too much water. The one that was up close to the front porch made it. The others looked terrible and I cut them back. My upright type seems to be coming back. My favorite one was my huge protrate type. Today I got a magnifying glass and looked at the branches. There might be a little sign of comeback, so I am waiting to see. I took some cuttings from the one that did make it, and of course I am sure everyone knows they root very easily so I will get some new ones that way.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 9:02PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I lost a very old one but the rest survived wonderfully well.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 9:57PM
buford(7 NE GA)

Mine is fine, but I did have to prune off a lot of dead branches.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 8:50AM
susaninnorthga(Zone 7)

Well, I gave up on them. Luckily my cuttings from the one that survived are doing well, and I picked up a Tuscan Blue the other day, and am going to get a Huntington Carpet variety tomorrow. Can't find the Prostrate Rosemary in Rome anywhere this year. Can't live without Rosemary, probably my favorite plant, (besides my old garden roses, of course).

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
Meredith Mays
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
How to prune a too tall crape myrtle?
I recently bought an old house with a potentially great...
jenarnow
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™