Main stem just snapped off

boothbay(7)April 14, 2011

I've been growing my Gloxinnia's for years and just this year, i had gotten the best results with about 10 buds ready to burst. Naturally, it was getting top heavy so I started to insert a stick to keep it upright...and without any warning, the main stem just snapped off. Never had this happen before...so I removed the tuber, which is still showing tiny new growth, and inserted the main stem into the pot, hoping that it would last long enough so i can enjoy the remaining 7 buds..3 of them are opened...don't know if it would succeed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Booth -

Your tuber if you pot it again - will give you new stem and new buds. Your snapped stem - you need to remove all buds, big lower leaves - and it will root easily and give you a new tuber in no time, probably a bud, but if not - you will get them next year.

Sh-t happens. But you didn't lose the plant, after some rest the old tuber will send you another stem and you will enjoy your blossoms.

Usually after the bloom is over, I let them grow for some time to accumulate energy - and then remove a tuber, wash it, store it in a baggie with vermiculite - and as soon as it sends a new grouth - I pot it again.

To have 2 gloxinias is better than 1.

Irina

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?
I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was...
treehugger101
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
What have we here?
Grown from a forgotten seed batch: Some kind of Kohleria...
rusty_blackhaw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™