Strange pumpkin plants

erdnuss(6)June 27, 2008

I'm attempting to grow a giant pumpkin this year. The plant never really grew a "vine" It has almost 15-20 leaves, it's about 1-2 ft tall, roughly 2 months old, and today it bloomed 2 of it's flowers with about 4 more to go.

I know that pumpkins are suppose to grow on vines and even though I may not get a good pumpkin because the plant seems to have done poorly, I'm still goign to see what I get :)

I've given it some compost/manure about 2 weeks ago, we'll see what happens.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sueloring(zone 4)

My question for you is what variety of seeds are you using and where did you purchase them?

Your plant sounds like it has tendencies of a bush variety pumpkin...they don't vine out but grow more upright and get an abundance of leaves on the top.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 1:42PM
erdnuss(6)

It is the Atlantic Giant and I purchased the seed packet from Thompson & Morgan online

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 3:50PM
sueloring(zone 4)

Hmmmm...well then I am stumped too. We grow lots of pumpkins and my husband is growing Atlantic Giants....putting a lot of effort and time and fish emulsion/seaweed into his. His big plant has about 15 huge leaves and one really good vine extending out
But he started it pretty late...like 4 wks ago..due to weather.
Your plant....being a couple months old....should be vining...especially if it's flowering.

Got a photo?

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 6:43PM
douglas14(z3/4 MN)

I'm guessing you have a flatvine/ribbonvine. I've had a couple of these in the past. They occur occasionally, as do doublevines. Are you able to see any small normal looking vines coming out of the plant? If so, I'd train one of these as the mainvine, and prune off the growing tip of the flatvine. This will hopefully focus the plant's energy into the normal vine.

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 8:05PM
mark4321_gw

I have a different sort of strange pumpkin plant. The sepals on the flowers are not the normal needle-like shape, but instead have been replaced with what look a lot more like leaves. It's very odd. Also, the stem and petioles are mottled. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

It came from a packet that are supposed to be Atlantic Giant. I got them as a freebie at a giant pumpkin growing seminar. The speaker who distributed them said they were a gift from Howard Dill.

I do have photos but I don't know how to post them.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
giant pumpkin
here is the pumpkin i grew last year it had a 308"...
TravisE
How long?
How long will it take to grow a giant pumpkin and have...
zzackey
What is this?
I was cleaning out my garden shed and sorting through...
kudzu9
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
Avocado Seed
I was wondering if I'd be successful at growing an...
naturalstuff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™