Breeding giant Big Zac tomatoes, lets talk parentage.

slc00(zone4 up MI)June 5, 2007

Who wants to know how to breed Big Zac?

I have started a thread here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0612562516098.html

Background: Big Zac is a hybrid, you need to have the two parent varieties to get Big Zac seeds. Minnie Zaccaria of Long Branch NJ bred this variety for competition. She reached sizes over 6 lbs. She later sold the rights to Totally Tomatoes for making the seed available commercially. Now only Totally Tomatoes parent company and Mrs. Zaccaria have the right to know how to breed true Big Zac. But maybe, just maybe, this thread might produce some clues or ideas as to the possible parents of Big Zac.

So, anyone have any other inside info, clues or ideas? Please participate in the thread above.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
svenna

I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure that that is the woman who lives next door to me when I am not away at school! If it's the same lady, her tomatos are HUGE! When I was little my grandma always told me about how she had won tons of competitions for her veggies. She was very nice and had very pretty sunwheels in the garden that I liked to watch spin when the wind came.

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 7:39PM
docgipe

If you live beside Minnie Zaccarie get out your spotting scope and watch the most successful tomato grower in recent times. No one has touched her....not even close. She is a grand ole lady and in my opinion the best grower of all times to date. I grow Big Zac every year. I get some dandies but never in her league.

Incidently the seed saved produce about 75% Big Zac and all the other crosses as expected. You can see the vigor of Big Zac in the early growth of seedlings. If pennies are important planting saved seed with careful observation is not all to great a risk.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 3:21PM
dangould

I want to get all set to try to grow a big one next year. I am wondering how everyone is doing so far this year.

Big Zac is a hybrid. For all the expenses and time to grow them I want to use the real thing. If anyone wants to split an order to save money, send me an email. I want to get and use the real deal Big Zac.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 6:23PM
bigdaddyj(Zone7)

Only Minnie knows for sure. All the rest of us can do is guess...:)

BZ never lets me down. Great variety!

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 12:00PM
mooney034_aol_com

Tomatoes are a vine, a member of the nightshade family. Any vine that I know if can be rooted from cuttings and to the best of my knowledge, will produce a clone of the parent plant. I believe that the cutting method of propagating can be used with any vine. I know it works with other tomatoes, peppers and seeet potatoes

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Dills Atlantic giant X blue Hubbard squash ?
Talk about the "BLUE MAX " HAS anyone crossed...
farmfreedom
giant sunflowers
15ft craven/american just in bloom Image link:
giantseeds
I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon
I grow Carolina Cross watermelons for sport. Five days...
coolvol
Compost Tea?
Add the Compost to your garden forget the tea. Good...
tohechito
Wanted Giant Pumpkin Seeds.
I am looking for Giant Pumpkin Seeds for child's garden.All...
scorion1
Sponsored Products
Shower Curtain Artistic - Femme 174
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Rich Brilliant Willing | Branch Large Pendant Light
YLighting
Moonrays Flood Lights. Outdoor Black Low Voltage 4-Watt Floodlight
$7.43 | Home Depot
Mono Kids Flatware with Smile - 5pc Set - Mono
$165.00 | HORNE
Martinique Rod Pocket Panel (108 in.)
Overstock.com