Giant Pepper (cayenne)

potawieJune 12, 2006

I'm in an international competition to grow the biggest "Whippet's Tail" pepper by Halloween. I've got a huge solid plant but need to know what will give the peppers a good boost. I'm tempted to pull off most of the flowers to provide more energy to the growth. The plant is in a large pot so it can be moved in and out of the greenhouse. I have access to all environmental controls (heating, cooling, humidity, shading, high powered lights etc.) I also have a wide range of fertilizers and supplements as well as compost and manure. I also have a half barrel I plan on using when pot gets rootbound and may be purchasing a drip irrigation system. I've always been good at growing big plants, but other than pumpkin I've never really grown giant veggies. What would be the ideal amount of light hrs and ideal humidity/temperature and fertilizer ratio for huge pods?

Please help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgew79(Z5-6 MO.)

Hi removing a lot of the blooms will help and I would use a product call super bloom and a growth hormone called giberillic acid if allowed. Give them full sun or at least 10 to 12 hours. I have noticed though that a plants genetic make up has a lot to do with the size of the plant along with the species. I have a rare wild species that can grow to nearly 9ft. tall, but the pods are quite small if you could breed the genes from a very tall plant like Capsicum praetermissum into your pepper you might end up with a very tall plant that has large pods on it. this could take years though.
I would watch how much nitrogen you use to as it will effect the size and amount of peppers you get.
George W. Z5 Mo.

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 9:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluelytes(Washington Stat)

POTA;
FWIW, (For What Its Worth), a LOT of GIANT VEG records come from alaska, where they have almost 24hrs of daylight, coincedence?? I think not. I would think to increase the "light" the plant gets.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon
I grow Carolina Cross watermelons for sport. Five days...
coolvol
Contact Info for Brian Moore?
To all, Had some questions for Brian about Giant sunflowers,...
KSOhio
Dill's Atlantic Giant x Full Moon cross
Hi, I plan on growing a Dill's Atlantic Giant pumpkin...
bogman95
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
Giant Tomatoes
Anyone else into growing these? I am new, but loving...
hardeng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™