Alsobia cutting hasn't rooted yet

Vikki(7b / 8)May 12, 2014

I was given an alsobia cutting - 2 plants connected by a runner - almost a month ago. It's still looking fine but hasn't shown any signs of rooting yet.

I've never had one before, only African violets, so I'm not sure if I'm doing things right for it. I just placed it on top of some AV mix. Now I'm wondering if I should have buried some of it and/or the runner. Advice anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davioletman

I would suggest to slightly bury the plant. Do not bury the crown! Leave it attached until it roots then cut the cord!

Dave

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 6:02PM
patchyjack(10a)

I have Alsobia cuttings too! Mine haven't rooted yet (only planted them yesterday) but I did notice before planting that most of the plantlets have some little root tips underneath, even though they've never touched soil. In nature, the plant would put down roots wherever a node with a plantlet touches the ground (or tree... or rock... whatever).
Based on that, and experiences with similar plants, I would think that placing the cutting on top of the soil, making sure that the bases of the plantlets maintain good contact with the mixture and keeping the mixture moist would be enough.
If they won't stay down, you could try unbending a paperclip into a U shape and using it to secure the runner to the mix.

I'd be weary of planting them too deep in case they get rot.

If they're really not doing anything, you could try giving them a dose of 1/4 strength seaweed fertiliser. It has a bunch of plant hormones in it which promote root growth. I've had great success with it on gesneriad cuttings before.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 5:49AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Cover it with a dome. Usually it stimulates the root growth all over the stem. Make sure that the soil is barely moist so it won't catch rot.

Good Luck

i.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
How fast will a lipstick plant grow? ((Aeschynanthus radicans)
I got one in a 6 inch hanging basket on clearance at...
tlbean2004
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™