Mailing Episcias. Need help/advice about shipping w/ heat packs.

nobodyshero(8)May 16, 2010

So I need to ship some Episcias, and they are going to places that have lows of about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm doing 2 day shipping. I've even done 2-3 day shipping before without a problem, but that's when temps are above 50/55 at their lowest.

Anyways, what's my best approach here? What's the best heating pack to use? Where's the best place to look for to buy them at? I'm trying to keep shipping as cheap as possible for my buyers, so would really love someone to tell me the best approach here. Is there a good way that works w/o a heat pack needed? Some Episcias I have start to go at more around 55 than 50 degrees.

Anyways, I'm happy to supply more info if needed to give me a better chance at getting the best advice. Many thanks for the help ahead of time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maureen_ottawa(z4)

I don't think you need a heat pack, just lots of insulation. I've had boxes with heat packs where the plants have gotten too hot and a few were mush when I got them. So if you do decide to use heat packs make sure that the plants aren't in direct contact with the heat.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
A couple of house plants
A few years ago I decided to get rid of Michaels fake...
bouldergrower
Tempted to troll on the AV forums, with my streps
But I guess I'll be nice...the streps are really loving...
dbarron
How fast will a lipstick plant grow? ((Aeschynanthus radicans)
I got one in a 6 inch hanging basket on clearance at...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™