strep temperature target

amilder(z8 Central TX)May 11, 2004

I love growing streps and I want to keep them as happy as I can. I keep hearing they prefer it cool, and they don't like heat. I use A/C all summer, I was wondering what exactly people mean by "too hot"? Is it 75, 80, or 85 F? I keep the house at around 78-80, it gets really expensive if I go much lower. Is this a reasonable upper limit?

Thanks,

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Andy,

I have streps and I have found that if the temp gets much over 80 degrees( closer to 85 ) they started getting stressed. I had a couple of summers where I lost some streps to heat, but it got up to 90 degrees. I think that 78-80 should be just fine. I put mine on the lowest shelf of my plant stand, so that it gets the coolest temps in the room. Hope this helps.

Larry

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 5:51AM
amilder(z8 Central TX)

Larry,
Thanks for the reply. That helps set my mind at ease. I was worried because the definition of "hot" can vary quite a bit. I wouldn't call 80 F hot, but someone from Maine might!
Thanks,
Andy

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 10:36AM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Andy,

I noticed that you just registered yesterday. Welcome aboard! There are a lot of nice people who know a lot about various plants here. I have learned so much by reading and interacting on these forums.

Larry

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 11:14PM
amilder(z8 Central TX)

Larry,
Thanks for the welcome! Actually I have already learned a lot from reading posts on this and other gardenweb forums.
Thanks,
Andy

Bookmark   May 16, 2004 at 12:26PM
mkjones(z8)

Hiya, Andy--I 2nd Larry, welcome! Garden Web rocks! =) I keep my streps in sunny windows, but about 4 feet from the window itself. If any closer, they curl & burn, and won't blossom. They're all over the house, in amongst the violets and such, but further from the light, and thus, cooler in the process too.

=) Streps are SO beautiful to have around, huh?
Kathleen in TX

Bookmark   May 18, 2004 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™