Michelia Alba

jayorbonAugust 29, 2009

I have a Michalia Alba in a sunken bed in a court yard in San Jose CA. This is Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9B. The court yard faces west but the tree is blocked from western sun by the house. It gets direct sun from about 8:00 am to about 12:30 PM. The sunken bed is 18" deep and is full of potting mix containg mostly organics with about 15% sand. The tree is about 4 years old and is about 12 feet high. It blooms well and the leaves do not get sun burn. During cold snaps the leaves do get some burn. It is on a drip system with hard wate, about 300ppm Ca, but the leaves do not get much tip damage.

How tall will my tree get?

Can I prune it into an "umbrella shape" at the 15" level to keep it below the the roof line?

Thank you for the inputs,

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

don't know about m. alba but i have pruned my m. figo into the shape you describe and it has responded well. i took off lower branches up to about 4' and have not had to cut back the top. don't see why you could not do that but this usually stimulates the shrub to produce more lateral growth near the area that was cut.
my shrub is older than yours and is about 15' tall.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 12:03PM
jimshy

From what I've heard, M. alba doesn't get over 20-25' outside the tropics, so your local climate may keep your tree at the right size for you, particularly as conditions change at roof level. If you need to prune, don't remove too much at once, michelias, aside from the shrubby ones like M. figo, don't take well to hard pruning. Spring is the usual time to prune magnolias, but check with local growers to see what they think.

Enjoy the blooms!

Jim

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 10:00AM
jayorbon

Thanks for the inputs.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 9:30PM
Michelia-Mickey

I live in San Francisco, Ca. I have a michelia albra tree growing in my backyard for almost 30 years and it is about 30 feet tall and each year it blooms a lot of very fragrant flowers. My tree is so tall that I can not cut the top branches at all. As I heard that the michelia alba tree can not stand pruning or cutting to much at one time. If you want to cut, do it on Oct or Nov.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
Hamamelis mollis
I have a new spot under a huge cedar that has been...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Pruning Honeysuckle??
I have a wonderful fence full of honeysuckle. It is...
womanhead
Blooming in March!
Osmanthus fragrans decided to show off a few blooms...
true_blue
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™