Splitting up my plants?

kristie73(z5 Co Springs)July 6, 2012

I am still a rookie gardener, so please bare with my inexperience. I planted 3 stella de oro (I think) lilies about 6 years ago. Then I planted one lily that has red and yellow center bloom and another one similar but it's a little taller and slightly different leaves. I don't remember those names. Anyway, they are getting really big. I have never really cut them, just cleaned up a little in each Spring. They have done so well every year. They are beautiful and border my flower garden. I feel like I should split them in half or thirds and plant elsewhere in my yard. How do I do this? I probably should have done it in the Spring, because now they are in full bloom. Should I wait or try to do it on a cool day? What is the process? What do I need to know? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shive(6b TN)

Hi Kristie!
Most people divide daylilies in the spring or in early fall when it's cool. Wait until after they finish blooming. If it's cool enough for you in August, and it likely will be in Colorado, divide then and replant. Daylilies need at least six weeks before a hard frost to settle in and grow new roots. Although the Stellas need to be divided at least every two years for maximum bloom, the larger daylilies don't need to be divided as often. I have some with 18 or 20 fans that are still blooming fine, so I leave them alone. I'll post some links later with directions for how to divide.

By the way, how close are you to where the wild fires destroyed so many homes in Colorado Springs?

Debra

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 1:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shive(6b TN)

Here's an article with photos showing how to divide daylilies. I find pictures to be helpful in explaining.

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Lori Jones Daylilies
My first experience 2 years ago with buying daylilies...
Julia NY
Who's still on the forum?
Uneasy making. Is this still going to work for comments...
organic_kitten
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
Voles have started....again!
Have found the first vole tunnel in a while...in the...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™