Cananga fruticosa fragrance

mehitabel(z6 MO)August 29, 2011

The Cananga fruticosa thread is damaged somehow so it doesn't show new posts, so I started a new thread about the fragrance.

On the previous thread I reported that a C fruticosa from Gardino's had lots and lots of flowers on it, but I hadn't been able to catch a fragrance, as the flowers were dropping off without turning yellow.

I believe now the reason for this may have been my keeping it too dry, as the leaves have improved as well with a little more attention to watering. So, today one of the flowers finally reached the yellow stage. Just one, so I don't know if the fragrance would waft if there were more, and I only caught it around five o'clock, so I don't know if it wafted earlier in the day...

There was a fragrance. A strange fruity scent, nothing wonderful to my nose like the fragrance of aratbotrys hexapetalus. I'm not sure I even like it. I'll see if I can catch the fragrance at other times and give more information about the quality of the scent.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

I have the same plant. Two of them, the first one died in the winter. It was small but got a couple of flowers, to me the smell is very pleasant, comparable to Chinese rice flower. Got another one last year, gave it more sun, it grow vigorously this year with dark green leaves. There are many flower buds, but the buds grow slowly. Now, there is one and only one that turned slight yellow. I keep sniffing, but nothing except a very light neem oil smell I sprayed a while ago. Will keep sniffing tomorrow.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 9:31PM
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

This is my plant. Growing very well. But has smelled nothing. I have been watching a flower maturing. Today I found it's done with the wind. I picked up the peddles and smelled nothing. Kind of disappointed so far.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 5:01PM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Hi, yellowthumb. Thanks for posting about your results with this plant. I'm disappointed in mine, too. It's so much trouble to keep plants of this type going over the winter, you want something really good from them.

BTW, yours looks really healthy, anyway. :)

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke supreme
I have found Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke Supreme plants...
bunti
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
What is the Best Way to Ship Gardenia?
Since gardenia is so hard to be kept alive, I just...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™