Can I prune my Giant Pumpkin?

raisemybeds(SouthernCT)July 27, 2005

This is my question. I have a giant pumpkin vine growing on a compost mound. The vine is maybe 20 feet long with a single fertilized female near the growing tip. Despite precautions, SVB has attacked the plant (I have them bad in my area). Most of the damage is in the first 50% of the vine, with really bad splits/rottting/frass near where the main stem comes out of the growing mound. It seems to me that the main stem is going to break off entirely as time goes on. And please don't tell me about cutting the borers out of the vine blah blah because I know all that stuff and it never really works anyway (believe me I am well-versed in SVB). What I want to do is whack the oldest half of the plant, hoping that the secondary rooting that has taken place all along the buried vine will sustain the youngest 50%. Will this work, or not? Thanks for any comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rainydays(4 WI)

You can do what you are asking...But if any part of the main vine is still green and living I would leave it. For our Giant Pumpkins we use Merit it is a systemic insecticide and will take care of all you SVB Problems. We Apply it at planting and it lasts for 90 days. Reapply it towards the end of July.

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
giant pumpkins and SVB
I want to try and grow giant pumpkins this year. Do...
zzackey
Peppers
I planted two peppers together in a large pot. One...
Mrainey1234
What is on my Pumpkins??
I live in Oklahoma. My pumpkins (Big Max variety) seemed...
nopeeking
20" long chillies on ebay true or false?
title asks all but also is there such a thing or could...
mushibu10
pumpkins crossing with small gourds
what do you get when you cross a pumpkin with a small...
Fableman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™