Lovage

carmellia(z 4 Minn)July 15, 2004

Has anyone every grown lovage? It may technically be an herb, but it tastes, smells, and looks like a giant head of celery.

I planted it at a corner of my garden last year from seed and never saw a thing come up. But either some little sprout did come up or the seeds can lay dormant for a year, because this year I have a lovage growing almost in the middle of my garden. (I plowed the garden well last year and must have moved the seed/root about 15 feet away from where I had planted it.)

So far, mine is about 3 feet tall, but I understand that it can get to be 5-6 feet tall. The smaller branches at the top coming out of the main stalks are used just as you would celery. It is supposed to come back from the root each spring and reseed heavily. If you love the smell and taste of celery as much as I do, give this one a try! Carmellia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe_m_pei

Hello, my lovage this year is 61/2 to 7 feet tall! I'm loving it. When it does get this tall, however, the weaker stems start to break if the wind picks up. The weather has been cool then hot and muggy. I've never had such lush lovage in my herb patch, perhaps this is the ideal weather for lovage. It's also spreading, which is welcome

Bookmark   July 21, 2004 at 11:04AM
carmellia(z 4 Minn)

Does your lovage spread by division? The impression I got from the seed catalog description was that it spread by re-seeding.

I suspect my lovage may be planted too deeply. From the haphazard way it was planted, I have no way of knowing how deep it might be. Does yours have a visible crown at the base or do the stalks all spring directly out of the ground?

Bookmark   July 27, 2004 at 12:06PM
gkadams69(z8 WA)

I started lovage from seed two years ago. It's about four feet tall, but is growing where it doesn't get much water. The stems come right from the ground, no bulb at the base. I use it quite a bit in cooking, especially chopped up in stews and soups. A little bit goes a long way because the flavor is quite strong. Kids love the hollow stems to use as straws or pea shooters.

Bookmark   September 22, 2004 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
have Giant Pink Banana Squash seeds
grown organically squash are at least 30/40 lb
lindamarie
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
mega-cabbage
Hello....I have been searching for information on preventing...
nurseliberty
giant pumpkin
here is the pumpkin i grew last year it had a 308"...
TravisE
giant sunflowers
15ft craven/american just in bloom Image link:
giantseeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™