Episia cleopatra

dtm1966(9a Houston, TX)June 11, 2005

Does anyone know a supplier who sells Episia cleopatra? No one seems to have it in their lists any more.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I was surprised at how many places I thought would carry it didn't. So I stopped when I found it at Rob's Violet Barn, an excellent place to buy anyway. Hope that helps!

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 2:57AM
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

DTM:

Most don't sell E. 'Cleopatra' because she's so temperamental and difficult to grow. A bubble bowl is a must in a majority of environments.

There are other pink and green varieties which are a bit easier. I have: E. 'Unpredicatable Valley' and E. 'Pink Dreams.' Both are in bubble bowls and thriving. I bought these two from meow2 on eBay and was thrilled with the size and health of the plants.

I don't plant directly in the bowls. I leave the plants in their original pots, surround with marbles and cover the opening with plastic wrap.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 11:01PM
vickster257(Z7aNJ)

Hi,

My gesneriad, E. Pink Brocade, is planted directly in a bubble bowl in a mix recommended by Dale Martens. It is doing well in that environment under a flourescent lamp.

Vicki

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 8:37PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Okay, just to show off the advantages of withering heat and humidity--the most beautiful Cleopatra I ever grew, I think, was one I used for a ground cover in the shade outside. It's really hard to get that much vivid color in a bubble bowl with fluorescent lights. (It may have been 'Pink Brocade.' I think they are often sold interchangeably. They really aren't; as Linda says Cleopatra is more finicky, tho' not really hard in a bubble bowl.) And for the record, tho' I'm not sure it's terribly important but more a matter of what works for you, I grow mine directly in the bowl in sphagnum moss with a little potting mix immediately around the roots.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 1:28AM
wilsonwong(Singapore)

Hi All,

I just found the synonym for 'Cleopatra' - guess what? It is 'Pink Brocade' which was what is given in the gesneriad register.

I am intrigued after reading what greenelbow1 posted and went to check on the register...

Wilson
Singapore

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
A couple of house plants
A few years ago I decided to get rid of Michaels fake...
bouldergrower
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
Sponsored Products
Aquatica Cleo Freestanding Acrylic Bathtub - White
Modern Bathroom
Cleopatra the Queen of the Nile Chessmen - 320
$310.72 | Hayneedle
Cleopatra Gold 50 x 96-Inch Embroidered Sheer Curtain
$54.95 | Bellacor
Laura Ashley Other Lighting Cleopatra Complete Lamp Rubbed Antique Black TX0005
Home Depot
Cleopatra Gold 50 x 108-Inch Embroidered Sheer Curtain
$57.95 | Bellacor