Volunteer Papaya

gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)April 22, 2012

Keep it, move it or loose it?

I experimented with a 'hot bed' this winter in one of my two full sun beds. I don't know if it was the hot bed the mild winter or a combination of both, but I had tomatoes from it all winter.

Then a few weeks ago this bonus plant popped up. I'm fairly positive it is papaya. I'm also pretty darn positive that I don't want a papaya tree blocking one of my only two [small] full sun gardens come fall. I don't even know if I like papaya, I didn't much care for the fruit attached to this seed that came home from the grocer with me. But I've learned to value giving fresh picked a valid chance.

So, what think you'all? Do I move it or loose it? If I move it, it will not get full sun, and I only have the one of it.

From what I read on IFAS about growing Papaya, it seems a crap shoot that I would get any fruit from what may or may not be the right sex.

TIA,

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Papaya Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

Moving Papaya's is tricky so do it now when it is small. Most papaya's Grown commercially will produce more hermaphrodite plants so you have a good chance of getting fruit. All papaya have that funny taste its the papaya enzyme. If that is your complaint it will still be there but a fresh home grown fruit should be sweeter if its grown in good soil and allowed to ripen longer on the tree. They will produce in partial shade. If you want papaya I would plant a Red Lady They are sweet and have less of that funny taste.
Enjoy

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 5:58AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Dianne

If you don't care for the taste of the papaya and prefer to use the space to grow something else, take the papaya asap because they will not only shade your spot, they have monster roots, you really need a lot of space for it. That is the reason that I have mine in a pot and is been fruiting since last year. Papaya taste in my opinion improve when you add some citrus, from juices lemon or lime, or I like to add them cut very small in a fruit salad with oranges and pineapples.
And you will also have the question, will it fruit? is it male or female or the other? most papayas grown these days are hybrids including the red lady.

Silvia

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 7:23AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

A plant that size should be pretty easy to pull up, IMPE.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 12:22PM
tinael01(10A)

IF you don't like Papaya, Dianne, then I say yank it out. Real estate is too precious!

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 6:19PM
rosarama

On the other hand, a good source of potassium and Vitamins A and C, A healthy fruit

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 2:27PM
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

I don't know if I do or don't like good fresh papaya. I do know I didn't want one taking up valuable in ground full sun real-estate. Not much of that to go around under all these oak trees.

I pulled it. It came out real easy. Only a few weeks old and already had RNK. Surprised me since this was loaded up as a hot bed in November. I need to make it a point to ask to taste some Red Lady Papaya next time I'm over to Willie's and Silvia's.

Thanks all,

~dianne

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 3:08PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Dianne, does RNK = Root Knot Nematode (RKN)?

Thanks,
Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 4:37PM
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

DRR - I fail at short cut typing. Go figure. Yup, them pesty dang critters in the roots. RKN. I'll just go practice that key combination now .....

~dianne

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Lonicera "Mandarin"
I'm interested in the observations of anyone who has...
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Question about moles
Well, I'm having another Florida wildlife experience. It...
lynne_melb
Shady Central Florida Fruit/Veggie Garden?
Hi everyone, I'm moving into a rental condo (Orlando)...
ellie479
Legal issues with using trademarked materials for breeding projects?
I don't really see a 'legal' or 'law' forum on here....
xentar_gw
Sponsored Products
Tennessee Volunteers Media Organizer
$29.99 | zulily
Devon Accent Lamp by Robert Abbey
$203.50 | Lumens
University of Tennessee Volunteers 7-piece Bed in a Bag Set
Overstock.com
Aeliena Orange 18 x 18 Coastal Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Zara Pendant by Bruck Lighting Systems
$288.80 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Jill Rosenwald Papaya 3 ft. 6
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Jill Rosenwald Papaya 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Pop Scented Candle
$38.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™