Losing sinningia muscicola seed pods to fungus?

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)June 18, 2013

I'm getting lots of seed pods, but they consistantly fail after 3-4 weeks, just turning brown and drooping off. This is not seed pods ripening! I've reduced both the temperature from 80-ish, down to 70*F, and the humidity to 50%, from probably 70%+. Hopefully this will work, and any other advice will be welcome.

Thanks,

--Rick in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Rick -

Once I had oodles of seeds on this one - and my club buddy collected them and grew bunch of seedlings for the Convention favors.

I grew it in a regular Cornell mix - no NZ moss in a 3" pot - i put in a glass bowl and put the seran wrap on the top. I put a half cup of vermiculite on the bottom and kept it on a dry side - means the vermiculite was barely humid, not soggy. The plant grew quite large and had tons of blossoms with seeds. Cannot say what was the humidity - probably not too high - but constant.

You can try harvesting them earlier and letting the seed pods dry and open out of container. I am thinking that when the seed pod dries and cracks - the tissue is dead - and it is food for fungus - so if you get it out when the pod is already on a large side - but still kinda green - you will catch it before fungus.

i.

Good Luck

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
ID? Episcias?
Any thoughts? On lyndonlyon.com I looked it up and...
suyoder
Why are streps not as popular as AVs?
It occurred to me a couple months ago-when searching...
judyj
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™