different ways for Sinningia leaf cuttings

tired_of_digging(z10)June 21, 2007

The easiest way, to take-off a leaf, do some cuttings along the veins and lay it flat (down side facing down), and anchoring the leaf firmly on the soil with pins or a small object on top; the leaves which I have cut have rooted, but the roots seemed to develop very slowly. A small bulblet forms where roots develop. However, being very much frustrated by the slowness of the process, I have sought a different technique under the same conditions.

That technique - slicing the leaf along the main vein, removing the vein and inserting the two halves with the cut side in the compost - has been used to propagate the closely related Streptocarpus. The technique applied for Sinningias, has yielded better results then if laying the leaves flat on the compost. The leaves also remained firmer. In average, the roots and the bulblets were bigger. Yet, both methods have not yet given rise to any baby plants from underneath.

Would that take longer ? When do I have to separate the bulblets, before or after they sprout ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jezebella

With Sinningia, I've taken a few leaves with stems and started them in water. While in the water they have formed a bulb with roots. After planting in soil the leaves, within a month or so, start producing plantlets and flowers. I know this does not answer your question but I thought I'd add to it.

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?
I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was...
treehugger101
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
How to create trade list?
How do I create trade list in Houzz? I have A violets,...
Debbie
Sponsored Products
Stilo 7 Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant with Oak Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor
Tamburo 16 Satin Nickel Three-Light Drum Pendant with Chalk Glass
$715.50 | Bellacor
The Perfect Shade Protector 16 x 12-ft. Motorized Semi-Cassette Retractable Awni
Hayneedle
Marina 300 Thread Count 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Natural 9-ft. Round Umbrella
Cost Plus World Market
InnerSpace 4.5 in. RV Camper Cool Gel Memory Foam Mattress - RVGEL-3880
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Congress Oil Rubbed Bronze One-Light Mini-Pendant
$149.00 | Bellacor
21" Standing Garden Bunny
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™