Tall Corn Question

sandbagger(Eastcoastzone7)August 6, 2006

Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it grow much more now? Its a tad bit over 14 feet now.....I was kinda hoping for more.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brian_NY_NJ_PA(zone 5/6 NY/NJ/)

You'll probably get the plants to 15 ft. tall when the tassel is fully out. That is about right for mexican june corn. As far as I know, it's usually in the 14-16 ft. range. If you looking for closer to the 20 ft. range, then I would go with Jala maize instead. It's a bit harder to get viable ears, and it needs a longer growing season.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 12:39PM
sandbagger(Eastcoastzone7)

Ok...my two Jala plants are way smaller than the Mexican June but started kicking in with growth this past two weeks...maybe theres hope for bigger with them?

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 5:32PM

How tall is the Jala currently? I'm in NJ, and my Jala is probably about 8-10 ft. tall. It tassels around the end of August to the beginning of September; so I have another month to go. I noticed that my Jala doesn't really start to get going until August. Jala needs the really hot days of July and August to really put on growth. They won't put on tassels in a consistent time frame though. You may get some that tassel early and end up being short, but most will tassel at the end of August.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 1:10PM
sandbagger(Eastcoastzone7)

Brian...I'll measure this weekend...its the least I can do since the seeds are from you. Thanks again........G

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 8:18PM

I've clocked a few Jala plants growing at about 7 inches per day during peak growth.

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 10:18PM
ncraven

If you are looking after your corn stalks and giving them lots of water. Than you should get 13 inches per day in peak growing

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 1:07AM
indy-jim

Ncraven,

Would you have any tall corn seed I could get from you?
Would you please email me at jdgatewood@gmail.com.

Thanks
Jim g

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 9:30PM
dantre

I have 2 varieties of skyscraper sweet corn that I got from a Mexican friend last year one is deep purple and the other red both were taken form corn plants 25+ feet tall. Mine are now 8ft and growing. What are the actual varieties?

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 8:37PM
georgeiii

hi
I'm looking to see if anyone has some spare seeds. I wouldn't mind trying to grow these myself.

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 3:30PM
MEDICINEMAN9_HOTMAIL_COM

WHAT COLOR IS THE MEXICAN JUNE CORN AND DOES IT MAKE A LARGE EAR? HOW WELL DID THE Jala maize PRODUCE?

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 9:02PM
RGodke

I am a Midwest boy that was trained by some of the leading corn professors in the world. On June 21 the days get shorter and this tells most corn plants that it is time to prepare to tassel. If you trick the corn plant to think the days are getting longer the plant will continue to grow taller. Please let me know when you break the world record.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing the Tallest Corn Plant

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Contact Info for Brian Moore?
To all, Had some questions for Brian about Giant sunflowers,...
KSOhio
Wanted Giant Pumpkin Seeds.
I am looking for Giant Pumpkin Seeds for child's garden.All...
scorion1
pumpkins crossing with small gourds
what do you get when you cross a pumpkin with a small...
Fableman
Giant Watermelon anyone??
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to grow giant watermelon...
tomatillo
20" long chillies on ebay true or false?
title asks all but also is there such a thing or could...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™