What to do with this Jasmine?

brandond(6)September 28, 2009

I have a couple of white flowered jasmines. I want to overwinter them in my shed or greenhouse. The are currently potted and growing up on a trellis. Do I simply cut them and put them away or try and untangle them from the trellis before putting them in a protected area. Now in my greenhouse they will obviously get more sun. However especially after November I will have to heat it some at night. I would prefer to use the shed since i dont want to have pay all the heat bills for the winter. Would that be detrimental to the health of the plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
allison1888

I have overwintered mine, but it's been in the house in a sunroom. I cut back the leaves and just water it periodically. I was told they need a period of dormancy, so don't worry if it doesn't flower over winter. It will come back fine next year. If you do the shed, is it heated? I think you need at least 45 degrees or so.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

I have actually been to Logees in the winter, where they have dozens upon dozens of different kind of Jasmines..

They have a room there that stays very cool, to the point you can see fog from your mouth..
Some Jasmines do need a cool place to grow, to bring them to bloom. The Fragrant Olive love these conditions too..

Is there a way you can find out what kind of Jasmine you have...The hardy ones actually enjoy cool conditions..The tropical ones need to stay above a certain temp to stay healthy..

Good luck..I hope it works out for ya..

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 8:22AM
More Discussions
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
Blooming in March!
Osmanthus fragrans decided to show off a few blooms...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™