What in the world are these scratches in my giant pumpkin?

bev25(Rhode Island)August 2, 2005

I went out to check my giant pumpkins and the largest has circular gauges in it from top to bottom. We dont have gophers, deer dont care about them, it's not from the inside, it's definitely trauma. Kids would have just smashed it.

What would do this??? My biggest pumpkin. Im bummed out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
douglas14(z3/4 MN)

Wow, that's weird. Kind of like crop circles. I have no idea what would do that. What ever it is, likes to make circles. I know how frustrating it is. Usually it's my mishaps that scratch my pumpkins. I cover my pumpkins with a white sheet or cloth. Maybe this would prevent damage from critters, or whatever.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 10:09PM
rainydays(4 WI)

I agree Weird...If I had a 5 year old child they would get the blame. Although I see the circles starting at ground level. So I believe it is some sort of chewing, and sucking creature. Like a slug, snail, or leaf miner. These scratches will not effect your growth. Spray the pumpkin down with a good fungicide and insecticide. You will have some awesome looking designs when this pumpkin gets mature. We scratch designs and names in our young jack O lanterns.

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 9:24AM
bev25(Rhode Island)

I have a 3 yr old but he's never in that area. I've been thinking of every animal and can't think of one that could leave marks like that. As for an insect I would think they would try to borough into one hole. I'll have to look up that leaf miner maybe that's the case.
Unreal...If it goes after my tomatoes I'll go wild!!

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 4:44PM
douglas14(z3/4 MN)

Shannon is probably correct. Likely some little creature. Do I see a little excrement left behind?

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 10:34PM
rainydays(4 WI)

The more I look at the pattern. The more I say a slug or a snail. OR you have a devil pumpkin lots of 666's. Something is fishy though. They are all way to perfect and go in the same pattern and have the same relative spacing. Definetly Alien Crop circles just smaller than usual aliens. You need to catch them in the act.

Bookmark   August 4, 2005 at 11:34AM
wayne_perrier(z9 CA)

Sure looks like a snail to me.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 1:14AM
rainydays(4 WI)

Whatever it is once it crosses its track it starts a new counterclockwise circle.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
mega-cabbage
Hello....I have been searching for information on preventing...
nurseliberty
Help Growing a Carolina Cross Watermelon
I plan on growing the Carolina Cross Watermelon variety...
RyanC95
Avocado Seed
I was wondering if I'd be successful at growing an...
naturalstuff
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
Peppers
I planted two peppers together in a large pot. One...
Mrainey1234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™