Giant Beet Prep- Help Need a Mentor

glassfordAugust 4, 2011

I have started growing big vegetables this summer and have enjoyed working with pumpkins, sunflowers and beets. I belong to the Utah Pumpkin growers and have found some help with growing my pumpkins but do not have any contacts for growing giant beets. I need a beet mentor! I want to show my beets at the Utah Pumpkin weigh off and hope to get some others interested in growing big beets. I don't know the best process to harvest and prepare for weigh in or the best way to display my big beets. I hope someone in the group can help or knows someone that has this kind of expertise. I think I read that European Vegetable competitions group beets into three categories: sugar, mammoth and table. I am growing the mammoth and table beets. I think my mammoth beet is quite large but I don't know that much about these beets. Copy and past the URL below to see a few of my beets.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d9c3X7AamSk/TjtJz3blC7I/AAAAAAAADP4/_JQ3dw574W4/s1600/beet3.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VVuhjClu_HY/TjtJlEtNQOI/AAAAAAAADPw/I2bldloFz-4/s1600/beet+1.jpg

Anyway I know this is a long post but I really could use some help.

Many thanks,

Rich

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countryboy_2007(7)

The largest beets I have ever grown was the Lutz Greenleaf Beet. They were about 8 inches across. I just used 10-10-10 fertilizer on them. And they were not pithy on the inside. I hope this might help you. Altough the beets from Europe grow much bigger, I think they are for animal feed.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

the "wurtzel mangle " it the giant beet . They yeild 40,000 pounds per acre. Gurney's used to carry them .

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Gaint tomatoes
Can anyone recommend a gaint tomato variety for southern...
cdsj
Giant Watermelon anyone??
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to grow giant watermelon...
tomatillo
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
Giant Tomatoes
Anyone else into growing these? I am new, but loving...
hardeng
Dills Atlantic giant X blue Hubbard squash ?
Talk about the "BLUE MAX " HAS anyone crossed...
farmfreedom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™