Carolina Cross Harvested: 70 pounds

wayne_perrier(z9 CA)September 20, 2006

Harvested my first watermelon; it weighed in at 70 pounds. This was a fair bit lower than I expected; the reason was that the watermelon was very flat on the bottom, flat as a board. But overall a very nice watermelon.

I took it to my son's preschool this morning and the kids just loved it. They helped push it from the door to a spot in the middle of the room and then took turns sitting on it, standing, jumping and kicking it. The watermelon survived. I'll probably cut it up later this week and save the seeds for next year (I took pains to make sure it didn't cross-pollenate with anything else).

I have another nicer shaped watermelon out there that is not yet ready, but it's smaller and the plant is under attack by aphids right now. Don't know how big it's going to get, but it's a good 50 pounds right now. I'll be saving seeds from that one too.

Wayne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gianteggplant(z9CA)

70lb. Good job!

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 3:30PM
henry_garden

Wayne, that's great. Congradualations and best of luck to you for next year.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 11:58AM
wayne_perrier(z9 CA)

Thanks guys. Now if I can only figure out how to get 100 pounds. Wonder how those 260+ pound guys do it. Not much out there on the net on growing giant watermelons.

Wayne

Bookmark   September 22, 2006 at 1:45AM
wayne_perrier(z9 CA)

Harvested the second one this past weekend. It was alot nicer shaped and pretty heavy too, although I can't seem to find our bathroom scale to be able to weigh it. It's definitely less than 100 pounds though since I can (barely) lift it myself.

Interestingly, upon cutting open the first one today, it was largely hollow inside. It had a void about the size of a 15 pound watermelon inside. Not sure why, but this certainly explains why it weighed less than I expected. It actually tastes pretty good, as good as any supermarket watermelon.

I'll probably be making some seeds available to anyone who wants some.

Wayne

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 2:32AM
wayne_perrier(z9 CA)

If you look on the base vegetable forum, I've posted an offering for seeds.

Wayne

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
giant pumpkins and SVB
I want to try and grow giant pumpkins this year. Do...
zzackey
Giant Watermelon anyone??
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to grow giant watermelon...
tomatillo
Peppers
I planted two peppers together in a large pot. One...
Mrainey1234
giant sunflower
my sunflowers are growing slower this year whyyyy
steilberg
Please help indentify
Hello, Well I started a garden a few months ago and...
yenstuff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™