Developing Giant Okra

georgew79(Z5-6 MO.)September 17, 2007

Hi all, I got a email from a person that goes by Bekisar I believe his first name is Wayne. Any way I can't email him back do to his email addy, as it doesn't go through.

I have been working on developing a new OP cultivar Okra so far it is going well and I have several promissing plants that I will continue to work with. I have a mixed lot of Okra seeds for okra that comes from all over the wold and they are quite good, but I have set them aside for further studies and grow outs. I will trade or give out small amounts of the seeds if anyone want some. I don't have a alot maybe five trades of five to ten seeds. For those of you that would like to try some but don't have any thing to trade I just ask for a SASE with a couple of 41 cent stamps to cover the postage. Please no over seas SASE as I can't afford the extra postage at this time. Some of the Okra plants can get tobe over 10ft with very long pods. The seeds like I said are from a mixed lot so you could end up with several types of Okra. Any way thank you all and I hope you have a great harvest season.

P.S. you can reach me at this email

georgew 7911 at yahoo .com.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crazyseeds.com

For anyone looking to trade with George..he is a good guy and just provided me with some nice Okra seeds. Definitely A+ for trades.

Bookmark   October 22, 2007 at 11:22PM
Brian_NY_NJ_PA(zone 5/6 NY/NJ/)

The USDA list a 16 feet tall Okra in their gerplasm database

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1220193

I've grown cowhorn okra, and I had no problem germinating seeds. This variety I had a hard time germinating. First attempt all the seeds rotted just soaking in water. Second attempt I used hydrogen peroxide and I was able to get half of them to germinate. Many of the seedlings died during the first week. I planted 4 of them outside and they grew to about 1 to 2 feet and all of them died.

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 2:42PM
georgew79(Z5-6 MO.)

Hi all, I just wanted to Post that if you get seeds from me and they fail, your are more than welcome to ask for more. All I ask is that you send me a SASE and I will send you some more seeds I'm really short on seed envelopes and can use a couple for your seeds. Also I ask for two stamps on your evelope to cover seed weight and postage.
Thank you
George W. Z5-6 MO.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 3:50PM
georgew79(Z5-6 MO.)

Hi Crazyseeds, Have you started any of the Okra seeds I sent you? I'm just soaking a few seeds just now as it hasn't been warm enough to put any in the ground yet. I'm interested in their germanation rate this time around. Drop me a line and let me know just how well they did for you.
Thanks
George W. Z5-6 MO.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
Wanted Giant Pumpkin Seeds.
I am looking for Giant Pumpkin Seeds for child's garden.All...
scorion1
Help Growing a Carolina Cross Watermelon
I plan on growing the Carolina Cross Watermelon variety...
RyanC95
giant pumpkin
here is the pumpkin i grew last year it had a 308"...
TravisE
giant sunflowers
15ft craven/american just in bloom Image link:
giantseeds
Has anyone tried to grow giant luffa?
I am looking to grow luffa again this year and want...
crazyman2099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™