violets in lawn

vsjo(z7GA)April 2, 2006

What are these tiny violets that grow in lawns? I have seen lawns covered in them. I found a few in mine and wonder if they will spread. I actually like them and wonder if they can be transplanted to flower beds and if so, when? I am not referring to the dark purple ones that are so prolific and grow in shade (as well as everywhere else). These are tiny like violas or Johnny-Jump-Ups. They are pale lavender with just a bit of yellow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Oh yes, they will spread. They seem to be more annual in nature than the heart leaved violets. But have no fear, like any relative of the violet family, they will be spreading their seeds.

I'm sure you can try and transplant them any time. You can buy them in nurseries (violas) in the fall when pansies are sold.

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 6:39PM
dparkman(7)

Are you talking about the wild purple violets or the purple and yellow violas? The purple wild violets are very invasion. I've had the purple wild violets at another house in a shady spot and was soon waging war to remove them from my lawn. The others are sweet to have and I think, die out in the heat.
Debbs

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 5:31PM
baseballmomof5

Yes the wild purple violets are very invasive.. THey are my neighbors entire lawn.. They have spread to parts of my back lawn and now have found a few in my front lawn.. I don't mind them in the back with theshade, due to lack of growth back there but no way in my front..
Alison

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 10:45PM
vsjo(z7GA)

OK, I'm thinking that they are indeed violas, not violets, the blooms are so small. The leaves are also not the heart shape of those invasive violets. Thanks for your enlightenment.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 1:56PM
vroomp(z7Ga)

Probably Birdfoot Violas, they transplant easily but are a pain to get rid of. Kinda like planting Kudzu in your own yard!

Years ago I put a bunch in a hanging basket.(cause my wife loved them) The next spring I had about a hundred coming up all around where the basket had hung. When the seed pods dry they open like a shot and fling seeds everywhere. I now stomp or pull all I see.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™