Non blooming achimenes

frank1965(z8 NWLouisiana)June 16, 2008

So when is it going to bloom? Seems healthy enough- 3 hrs of direct sun then bright filtered after that. Never allowed to wilt, slow release fert, plenty of humidity in Louisiana. What's up with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mutantplantlover

Any way you can give it more light? I can't help but notice long internodes between the leaf sets. I bit more light should help get blooms.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 10:30AM
frank1965(z8 NWLouisiana)

More light, really? I was under the impression that they liked shade or part shade. This is 'Purple King' which I understand is a relatively big cultivar- so maybe the long internodes. I have another cultivar that gets the same amount of sun and it is much shorter. Anymore sun and and I would be afraid of scorching. It wilts already when the hot sun hits it even when it is well watered. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for answering so quick.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 1:51PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I haven't grown many achimenes and really feel like I'm just beginning to understand them, but mine never bloom this early. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my impression is they are more likely to bloom maybe mid-summer to fall. I always get bloom--unless I'm just unforgivably lax about watering!--but never before maybe mid- to late summer. Hope someone who grows a lot of them will chime in!

That is a really gorgeous Purple King! I grow mine with less sun than that, and they do bloom well--just later. And yeah, we do have humidity in Louisiana, don't we? So many plants love it that I've learned to appreciate it--until my nose and earlobes start dripping!

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 12:20AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Mine are in a shaded but HOT sunporch - mine don't bloom until late July. I think it's just a bit early, so be patient.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Looking for Streptocarpella cuttings or seeds
I live in Istanbul Turkey and looking for Streptocarpella...
zuhalzeren
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™