Pumpkin hardening

mike_brfSeptember 14, 2008

Well, I gave it a shot this year, trying to grow a big pumpkin. I only tried watering this year, no extra fertilizer and according to my measurements, one should by over 200 and the other 180. My question is this. I am bring them both to a school at the end of October but I do not know if there is anything that I should be doing to it in the meantime. Is there anything? One has stayed a very light yellow color and the other is now starting to turn a nice deep orange. I am just worried that as it sits there and ripens I might lose weight or structural integrity. I appreciate any help you all can offer.

I can't wait till next year when I start fertilizing more. If I can do this just with extra watering...

~Mike~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

Use mouse control: traps, poison etc. they can chew a hole in it and move in for the winter.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 2:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beetlejuicevoyager(5a Montreal (Quebec) area)

I am going to try growing the Howard Dill's Giants next year. My seeds are ordered. My compost bed is ready. I am going to start them inside under neon lights in the month of March - 150 days is a long period to grow in my region and if I want to present one of my champions in an early fall fair, I have to be ready.

How did your pumpkin ended up, finally?

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Giant Watermelon anyone??
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to grow giant watermelon...
tomatillo
What is on my Pumpkins??
I live in Oklahoma. My pumpkins (Big Max variety) seemed...
nopeeking
Peppers
I planted two peppers together in a large pot. One...
Mrainey1234
What is this?
I was cleaning out my garden shed and sorting through...
kudzu9
I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon
I grow Carolina Cross watermelons for sport. Five days...
coolvol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™