Streptocarpus ID w/Pictures

clintdawley(z8 TX)July 31, 2007

Hi all! I've had this plant for a little over a year now and it pretty much blooms non-stop with a short break in the dark days of winter. The leaves are about 12" long and it produces these lavender on lavender flowers. Any idea as to which hybrid this is? Or maybe which species it most represents?

Thanks in advance. Clint

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
komi(z7/8 DC)

hey Clint! what on earth are you doing over here?

I'm not much of a strep grower so I am going out of my way to guess: it looks like a hybrid. (Honestly more interested in that nicely compact-looking catt you've got there... heh.)

If I had to guess, I would guess some kentaniensis parentage (the narrow leaves) and some floribundus.... but like I said, I could be waaaaaay off base.

Streps self- and cross-pollinate easily, so it's difficult to ID most of them. If you want to look at more pics, here's some photos of species and here's another website (more hybrids).

Personally I think you should be growing Sinningia and Drymonia and Tricantha and Aeschynanthus..... or Huernia or Orbea or..... lol. I've been neglecting the orchids this year...

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 6:35PM
clintdawley(z8 TX)

Hey KI!

Nice to finally have some sort of reply after almost a month. This forum must be really slow. (The compact catt is Blc. Laddawan Beauty.)

Thanks again for the hints. I'll have to look at those other genera as I'm not sure what they heck most of them are! (I'm so not familiar with most other non-orchid plants!)

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 10:08AM
donnaviola

Hi CLint, First time for me on the gesneriad site. What a beautiful Strep. It looks like you might be growing it in clay hydroponic pellets. Is that right? donnaviola

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 12:17AM
clintdawley(z8 TX)

Nope. Just regular ol' Miracle Grow AV soil and a wick watering pot.

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 12:39PM
carol222

Clint, That looks like Heidi.
Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Heidi

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
WANT: Anyone have any lipstick plant cuttings to trade for postag
Im looking for lipstick plant cuttings. I cant find...
tlbean2004
Chirita Tamiana advice, please?
Hello, I'm a faithful "lurker" in this forum,...
mkjones
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?
I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was...
treehugger101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™