Heptacodium miconioides (Seven Sons Flower)

kemistry(8 - Oregon)September 3, 2012

Hello fellow fragrant plant addicts, here is a new plant for you to try:

Heptacodium miconioides or Seven Sons Flower

(image source: flickr)

I ran into this plant at my local nursery. The pleasantly floral scented flowers are covered with bees. Very fragrant! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

You're terrible, Kemistry! And I'm shocked you didn't one up...or did you? ;)
I like that it feeds the critters and our noses!

-Robert

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 3:11PM
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

Hey Robert, no I didn't get it; I don't have room for one at the moment. I was thinking of you when I saw this plant because it's a bee and butterfly magnet! ;) This plant seems to be pretty hardy, up to z5, maybe you can grow it in the ground if there's room for it. (hehe)

I think it smells sorta like a honeysuckle (though not as sweet and pretty as the Japanese Honeysuckle)

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:02PM
olympia_gardener(5)

oooh, kemistry, evil.... tempt me into another must have...The flowers are lovely. Each flower resembles the citrus flowers.

butterfly4u recommended this tree a while ago. I have already scouted out which local nursary carries this plant. It was on my shopping list but was not really in high priority... Was planning a trip to locall nursary in the fall. if it is on sale, I'll get one, if not, I can wait till next year... Now, knowing what the flowers look like and the honeysuckle scent... I can't wait to plant one in my yard ...OMG, my banker is going to call and tell me how bad I am lately... evil...

Robert, you should have one in you yard too. From what I've read and heard, it is a hardy and nice plant.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 9:11AM
olympia_gardener(5)

oooh, kemistry, evil.... tempt me into another must have...The flowers are lovely. Each flower resembles the citrus flowers.

butterfly4u recommended this tree a while ago. I have already scouted out which local nursary carries this plant. It was on my shopping list but was not really in high priority... Was planning a trip to locall nursary in the fall. if it is on sale, I'll get one, if not, I can wait till next year... Now, knowing what the flowers look like and the honeysuckle scent... I can't wait to plant one in my yard ...OMG, my banker is going to call and tell me how bad I am lately... evil...

Robert, you should have one in you yard too. From what I've read and heard, it is a hardy and nice plant.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 9:12AM
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

Olympia_gardener.. From reading your post, I plan to stop by the nursery this weekend to sniff it again. Lol.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 1:55PM
butterfly4u

Here's mine

I have it planted on a non fertile hill poor thing, it does smell good though. keep it short cutting it down every year.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
Best scented ceanothus variety??
Hey guys, Any input is much appreciated. I never considered...
fenius
Plumeria stenopetala
So I've been resisting ordering a plant for days now...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™