Choosing a Nematanthus

Tavimh(5)July 22, 2014

I've got a few gesneriads and looking to add a Nematanthus. Whats your favorite variety? I've never grown one, but I think I'm looking for compact plant with small but dense cascading foliage and a good flowering habit. I just saw pictures of N. australis and it looks adorable - has anyone tried it?

I really like the looks of N. brasiliensis and N. corticola, but I don't know hardly anything about them! I think they may be too large for me (5"-6" pot is about the amount of space I could spare)

This post was edited by Tavimh on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 1:07

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snappyguy

Nematanthus are typically best grown in a basket as they are trailing species. I currently have N. 'Black Gold' in a 6" pot, but it's easily 18" wide at this point. Leaves are generally no more than 3/4" long and it is a good bloomer. The bright orange flowers contrast nicely with the dark foliage. It's a common hybrid that I've even seen for sale several times in big box stores.

Mark

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:02AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I tried N.australis - and it is kind of sparse... bare sticks and rare leaves and flowers...
To add to Mark's recommendation - old hybrid "Christmas Holly" is compact and cheerful.

N. corticola and N. brasiliensis as well as their hybrids with large leaves do not reach their full potential unless you have 2-3 foot of space to spare.

I got a really attractive and everblooming hybrid from Michael Kartuz by the name of "Linda Joe". Love this thing!!!

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Kartuz collection

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:25PM
mark4321_gw

Below is a photo of my Nematanthus brasiliensis, taken today. It's in bud (lower right). I''m not an experienced grower of Gesneriads. A friend gave it to me nearly defoliated and I've tried to nurse it back to health. It has been growing in an area with afternoon sun only. Morning sun might be better, but those spots are limited. It has been outside, but I've experienced no frost.

"Neglect" is a good word for how I've treated this plant. I suspect it should be staked again. I think it does need to be cut back, probably a lot. This would of course generate a lot of cuttings. I'm sure it can be grown much better, but is it the right choice for someone looking for a small, floriferous plant? Probably not. This is probably a better one for those looking for the unusual, with less concern for the overall impact.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:39AM
mark4321_gw

I forgot to mention. The little guys in 3 inch pots placed in the 1 gallon pot are Nematanthus fritschii, seeds from Mauro Peixoto (Brasil Plants). I don't have too much to add except that those guys are smaller, so far...

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:46AM
gregsytch(z9b Tampa Bay)

I highly recommend 'Black Gold'. It does not grow too big, blooms constantly. The flowers (to me) are more a golden orange, nice, darker small leaves. It is an easy grower, too. 'Lemon Lime' with glowing bright yellow flowers, is a great choice, too. It does not get big, but can require more pruning. If you want BIG, go with 'Champagne Jam' or 'Pretty Plum'. Both are in 7 gallon (yes that is right) pots, and I use both in the landscape.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 6:19PM
Tavimh(5)

Wow! Thank you all for the input. I guess I had no idea that some of these could get so large (7 gal.?!). Someday I do want to try a N. brasiliensis, but for now I don't have room for it. Thank you for the photo, I've been trying to find a picture of an entire plant for size reference.

I think I have it narrowed down to either black gold or Christmas holly. Linda Jo looks very cool, but the foliage is nearly identical to my Xcodonatanthus vista.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
Tempted to troll on the AV forums, with my streps
But I guess I'll be nice...the streps are really loving...
dbarron
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
Sponsored Products
Morris Dining Chairs (Set of 2) - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Set Of Four Mature Bordeaux Wine Glasses
Classic Hostess
Home Decorators Runner Rug: Royale Chenille Lime 2' 3" x 8'
$55.00 | Home Depot
Abetta Flex Sublime Super Cushion Trail Saddle - 20500F6BK
$454.29 | Hayneedle
Bruck | Delta Pendant Light
$318.00 | YLighting