My Columnea

lal58(z5 NY)July 21, 2008

Hello everyone, My name is Lori and I bought a columnea last year at a Lowe's store. I was taken by its beautiful long trailing small leaves. And I believe it has an orange flower. But that's just it. It has never flowered. It has grown beautifully in my sky-lighted hallway which has direct sun part of the day and is very warm and humid. It has been over a year since I've purchased it. I have not changed the soil hoping to make it pot bound to encourage blooming. (It is the only thing that I haven't done.) I have used Peter's 20's food for houseplants. Can anyone help me to get it to bloom? Or otherwise provide me with info on how to take care of it better?

Thanks

Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Lori -

try to cool it down. It is hard to find a cold spot right now - but later when the heat will subside - you can even leave it ouside for the nights.

I think it is a seasonal memory for it - in their natural habitat they bloom after the cold period. We have a lady in our club who takes them to the unheated basement, chills them at 50-60F - and they all come to bloom.

Good luck

Irina

PS Aeschynanthus - lipstick vine - is similar in habit to columnea - and I think it will appreciate your bathroom heat and humidity better - and bloom its head off - and your columnea can be happier on the east window.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 6:40PM
lal58(z5 NY)

Wow! I didn't think of that! Thanks so much! I live in a brownstone on the top floor in Bklyn, NY. The hallway landing is usually the coldest in the winter and warmest in the summer of the all the landings in the building. But I am going to try putting it outdoors this late summer/early fall-- (on my fire escape)-- Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 7:15PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Lori -

if you will find a cooler spot at home - it would be better - less chances for picking the bugs.

Some columneas bloom almost all the time - and some - are seasonal bloomers - so - do not despair.

Irina

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 1:03PM
lal58(z5 NY)

thank you Irina-will do

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
mirage leaf rotting
just was checking on my tray of streps.... and theres...
shihtzu4su
Need more Streps like this one
This is Heartland's White Gold which I've had for nearly...
terrilou
Sponsored Products
Bellamy Collection Pewter 4-Light Rail Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Da Vinci Semi-Flushmount by Schonbek Lighting
$4,389.00 | Lumens
Edwardian Two-Light Wall Sconce
$233.10 | Bellacor
Wooden Standing Clothing Rack - 56H in. - 68801
$85.99 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Hunter Astoria 52 in. Bronze Ceiling Fan 22459
Home Depot