Streptocarpus Problem.

SusanJNYJuly 20, 2012

I ordered this Cape Violet from Logee's earlier this year. It arrived with these yellow markings that have now worsened, and spread to others that I have had for years. I have not changed anything with my others (fertilizer, humidity, light). Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davioletman

Susan, from what you are describing it sounds like it maybe a virus. Do you sterilize your tools each time between plants? Another culprit could be bugs that have fed on the infected plant and now are spreading to others.

I have had some degree of yellow mottled leaves from time to time but it was not widespread. In my case it was a cultural issue as only one leaf would show a small area of mottling.

My guess is you have a virus. Maybe Irina will be able to identify this better. She is usually responding to questions and I trust and value her opinion.

Dave

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:38PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Dave - thanks for kind words - I was out of commission for some time - medical issues - but I am OK now.

Susan - chuck all. Basically you need to get rid of ALL plants in a house.

Streps take the INSV (I think it is it, but can be mosaic virus as well - I am not that familiar with the subtle difference) - better than AVs, AVs get really distorted blossoms and leaves - but there is no cure. The most probable vector (carrier) for them is thrips - and now they are saying can be white flies, probably aphids - but if you use scissors to trim the leaves - it will work too - you need to dip them in an alcohol between the plants.

Next time - no matter if you dreamed about this variety for 25 years - if you see the mottling on the leaves - bag it and send it to the trash.

You can save the most valuable pots if you soak them in a really strong Clorax solution for several days. All tools should go through the rubbing alcohol.

Keep on the top of the thrips - one susupicious plant - and thrips will pass to everything in a house. So - that's why - suspicious plants do not belong - do not try to baby them back.

Been there done that in 2006. Bags and bags of disposed plants...

Irina

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 6:27PM
farmerann(7b)

Thanks for the picture and the how-to-handle info. This is just like rose rosette disease. farmerann

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
How to create trade list?
How do I create trade list in Houzz? I have A violets,...
Debbie
Tempted to troll on the AV forums, with my streps
But I guess I'll be nice...the streps are really loving...
dbarron
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
RGB Module rgb-module-5050-3 LED Module
EnvironmentalLights.com
16 Ga Sink Strainer Grid Cutting Board
PLFixtures
Brave Knights Paper Tablecloth
$6.99 | zulily
EatBetter Pet Food Bowl
$20.50 | FRONTGATE
Burns Ottoman - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture