Anyone growing giant turnips, rhutabagas ?

farmfreedomDecember 11, 2006

Anyone growing giant turnips, rhutabagas ? is there anything better than the "mamouth rhutabaga" ? Where can I get seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gianty

I thought you said you didn't have any land to grow anything on??????

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 2:08AM
farmfreedom

I don't have any land to grow anything on ,but I want to know where I can get the seeds I want when I get it.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 11:30AM
gianteggplant(z9CA)

You can always check community gardening program in your neighborhood to see if there is land for rent.

Bookmark   December 15, 2006 at 2:57AM
chaz_wi

I grow turnips and rutabagas every year. I don't generally let the turnips get huge because the varieties I grow tend to get woody at a large size. Of course, rutabagas naturally grow to a larger size.

That said, a few years ago I planted a row of the lavender-shouldered turnips in a friend's garden. Six or eight weeks later I returned to harvest some. I made my merry way down the row, picking baseball-sized turnips. Then I seized the top of one which I struggled to unearth, bracing myself against resistance I'd not encountered with its brethren. I finally got a spade and worked around this megaturnip. When I got it out of the ground, my eyes grew wide and I ran to the house to fetch my friend. Together we stood there and stared in shock at the largest turnip we'd ever seen. It was about the size of a volleyball and must have weighed 8 - 10 pounds. I warned my friend that it might be woody and/or bitter, but by all reports the flesh was crisp, succulent, and mild. It fed him and his wife for a week.

I don't know why this turnip mutated to grow the way it did. All the other turnips in that row - planted from the same packet of seeds - were normal in every way.

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 11:25AM
farmfreedom

I would have left that turnip in and let it go to seed and planted half of them next year . You could have started a new strain !

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 3:07PM
chaz_wi

I don't know if there's much of a market for 10-pound turnips.

Anyway, I didn't realize until I'd uprooted it exactly what I was dealing with. My first reaction, which lasted only a few seconds, was a sort of vague fear and shock.

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Dills Atlantic giant X blue Hubbard squash ?
Talk about the "BLUE MAX " HAS anyone crossed...
farmfreedom
Has anyone tried to grow giant luffa?
I am looking to grow luffa again this year and want...
crazyman2099
Giant Watermelon anyone??
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to grow giant watermelon...
tomatillo
Giant Tomatoes
Anyone else into growing these? I am new, but loving...
hardeng
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
Sponsored Products
Colonial Mills Outdoor Houndstooth Tweed Storage Basket - 18 diam. x 12 in. - OT
$82.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Runner Rug: Olympia Blue 2' 9" x 14'
Home Depot
Zuo Fort Mason Distressed Wood Shelf
Euro Style Lighting
Butler Plantation Cherry Jewelry Chest In Vintage Oak
Beyond Stores
Stainless Steel Scratch-B-Gone Mini Kit
Signature Hardware
New 3' X 9' Floral Oriental Balouch Runner Hand Knotted Navy Wool Area Rug P923
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™