episcias

lalalulu8(7)July 5, 2004

am i right in thinking that these are just like african violets but with "tubey" flowers? do they come in orange? do they have the same care needs as AV's do? how big do they get? can they be hybridized with african violets? if there's any thing i'd need to know (or would want to know) before getting one, please do tell!

thanks in advance!

~lalalulu8

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows(z9--so LA)

I'm sure others will chime in with more advise, but I'll see if I can get it started. Episcias will grow in the same conditions as do AVs, and some people I've seen grow them at the sides of their light stands even. Most the experts, tho', say they prefer brighter light and/or longer days than your AVs do. So far as I know there are no really orange flowered episcias, tho' some come really close--more of a red-orange, or red, or yellow, or pink. A lot of people grow them for the foliage and don't care if they bloom, and with some, like 'Cleopatra' for example, the bloom (orange/red) clashes with the pink/white/green foliage, and the only reason to look for blooms in my opinion is that they're an indication of good health. As far as size goes, some are pretty small, like 'Silver Skies' for instance, and most can get quite large if you let the stolens grow, especially if you pin them down on a large shallow pot or in a moss basket. Even a larger grower can be more manageable and quite lovely if all the stolens are pinched off. The leaves get larger but the plant doesn't. What have I forgotten to tell you?!

Bookmark   July 5, 2004 at 10:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows(z9--so LA)

I don't think they cross with AVs. There are a lot of episcia species, well, not a LOT but considerably more than most of us are familiar with, and I think one of the ways they figure out which species various gesneriads belong to is whether they cross with each other. And NOW what did I forget?

Bookmark   July 8, 2004 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™