Potted Strawberry Plants?

destin3g99(7b)April 22, 2009

I have two pots strawberries that made it through the winter. One of them is actually made of up runners from the original pot that I just placed inside a pot full of dirt as they grew over the edge of the other. They're starting to green up and get flowers on them. I really want to eventually get them and some more strawberry plants planted into a raised bed, but that probably won't happen until next summer.

My question is, should I take these out an repot them into bigger pots so they have fresh start in new potting soil?? They fit well in the pots they're in now, but I'm sure by the end of the summer the pots will be over flowing.

At first I was just wondering if I should up end the pots and replant them back in the same pots with new potting soil. But now that I'm typing them I'm really thinking the bigger pots would be a good idea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjinga

I had strawberries that my mom brought to me from Idaho, I planted them in a 1/2 whiskey barrel, they were there a for like 2 years and pretty much ignored, abused and very sad...but they survived...I finally got them planted into soil and they took off, didn't miss a beat. You'd never know that they were so poor before. I'd just leave them alone and/or maybe put a light top layer of good soil/compost/mulch and some osmocote maybe? or use a liquid fert. at 1/2 strength and water them well, etc. until your beds are ready. they should be fine.

PS: I have also planted berries this year in a 5 gallon bucket and they are thriving. (pictured here about 2 weeks after they were planted, NOW, they all have flowers and berries forming...

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
How to prune a too tall crape myrtle?
I recently bought an old house with a potentially great...
jenarnow
Baptisia arachnifera (wild indigo, hairy false indigo)
I understand this is a native Georgia plant. I have...
Evenshade 8a
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Looking for gingko biloba tree to plant
This forum has been so slow recently. Hope a bunch...
rosiew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™