Titanotrichum oldhamii

gerris2July 17, 2013

I love the large bright yellow flowers and maroon tube color too of this rarely seen gesneriad. I have it happily growing in my office in the windowsill where it has a western exposure. I got the plant from Plant Delights Nursery originally. I need to see how to propagate it so I have an extra one in case one should fail.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VGardenProject

What a beauty. I am a straggler in this forum and just happen to click on this post

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 9:27AM
Wild_Rose_of_VA

Beautiful!!!
I have never seen or even heard of this one before!

Karen

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 12:52PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Gerris -

T.o. is a rhizomatous plant - so at the end of the blooming season you can shuck your pot - and separate the rhizomes.
It puts flowers as well as green propagules from the nodes. Usually the immature plant puts only propagules. You can start them up as well.

Do not make the same mistake I did - my pot dried - and I lost the blooming stalk. I can tell that there are rhizomes in a pot - but I will not get any bloom this year. Keep it moist.

By the way - looks like people in zone 7 Maryland - were able to grow it outside and it comes back after the winter. Probably extra mulch on the top of the clump won't hurt.

irina

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
ID? Episcias?
Any thoughts? On lyndonlyon.com I looked it up and...
suyoder
On growing streps larger...?
Today I was wondering if the same effect of disbudding...
judyj
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™