Deadheading...salvia?

mk87April 22, 2009

Are you supposed to deadhead salvia (I have May Night) to keep it blooming all summer? If so, do you cut the flower stalk all the way down at the base, or just cut off the top part that is flowering?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Because I have a lot of them, I use a weed eater and whack off the top third. They are blooming again in a couple weeks.
I do give them a a shot of Miracle Grow after the whacking but I like Miracle Grow.
Otherwise if trimming individually, cut the stalk down to the next branching stems.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 9:30PM
mk87

beez -- Would you suggest deadheading (I only have three plants) individual stems as they blow their color? Or, waiting until ALL of the stems on a plant are done and then deadhead them all at the same time? I don't mind doing it individually (I do that with other perennials), but didn't know if one way would produce more color than the other.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 6:48AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I would do whatever you have time to do. Certainly removing each flower as it has faded would look better but it's not necessary.

You will have constant bloom without a lull period like I do if you regularly tend to them.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 8:20AM
mk87

bbeez -- Thanks! That's what I'll do then. I actually sort of enjoy the walk through the garden (it's not very large) and deadheading the perennials.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 8:29PM
mk87

bbeez -- (Sorry, I've been out of town...just getting back and getting back to GW...) One more question: I deadheaded the salvia before I went out of town. When I came back, they were blooming again (good!), but the flower stalks were all sort of short and not as nice and tall as they were before (not good?). Is that normal and how do I get them to bloom on taller stalks again?

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™