Artificial light for Sinningia pusilla??

corwinletrey(z5 IL)July 3, 2004

Hello everyone,

I just discovered my first Mini Sinningia. I purchased two White Sprites at a local African Violet Society booth, then read everything I could find about them on the web. I planted them in a small Wardian case and put them on a table in the good light of my living room near my African Violets. Thus far they seem quite content.

My question is this. I would like to aquire some more Minis. I have a couple more Terrariums and would like to order some different types from "Dave's Violets". However I live in a pretty small space. The only places left to put them do not recieve good natural light. Florescent light fixtures would be *horribly* out of place in my appartment.

I do however have lamps on the end tables that I am considering form them, and wondered if grow bulbs in those would be sufficient? If so what wattage? Any suggestions or words fo wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows(z9--so LA)

There are quite a few items on the market that are labeled 'grow bulbs'. Some are as close to useless as it's possible to be. Some are excellent. Most have their strengths and weaknesses. What would probably be best in your lamps would be fluorescent bulbs, the ones that look like regular bulbs but don't put out the heat and have much stronger light. They would give you better light for your minis and would have the added advantage of being something that you can leave on for long periods of time. Their initial price is higher but they last MUCH longer and use a lot less electricity, so they have advantages for the environment and your wallet as well. You can get the plants quite close to the light without risk of burning them. Sinns. prefer a little more light, or a longer day-length, than your AVs.

Bookmark   July 4, 2004 at 12:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Corwin,

The Violet Showcase has something called the intelligent plant light that is pretty much for one plant. It may be just the thing for your sinningia white sprites. I have put the catalog address down at the bottom. Scroll down about three pages and there is a picture of it. They are a little pricey, but they may just do the trick for you.

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: The Violet Showcase

Bookmark   July 4, 2004 at 4:46AM
More Discussions
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™