sunburned nematanthus

seanarmenta(z10 CA)July 23, 2005

i believe my nematanthus is sunburned! i need a little help on what to do... i am very inexperienced with plant troubles :( but i would like to get my plant back to health again.

any help would be very much appreciated.

sean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

Hi I see you live in California. Where exactly? Is the plant indoors or outdoors. I can't tell from the photo which cultivar you are growing. It looks like 'Encore'??

If it is outside and you live away from the coast then it may have gotten sunburned. Move it into bright shade. Indoors they usually don't get burned unless right up against the glass on a sunny window. What to do?--probably move the plant and trim off the burned tips. My plants will get what I call "heat burn"--the foliage gets marks over the old and new growth, that turn brown and dead. It is a pain, and it takes a year or more to grow out of it. I find that frequent watering in summer and keeping the plant out of too much light helps to prevent it. So far this year I have done well, but now we are getting into our hottest months, and the heatburn usually happens in the latter half of summer. Its been hot these past few days and I am about to go out and see if the plants are suffering. I will be watering them anyway.

Jon

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovesgardening

hi,
where i live it is HOT all summer (prob similar to you) but now we are after an exceptionally hot 2 week heat wave and my goldfish plant also got sunburned. what i do is this: the leaves that just get the round patches i leave but leaves whch have gone all brown i pinch off. you can move it into slightly less sunlight but if it is in a shady spot it will not flower. at least this is what happened to me and how i found the perfect spot for mine: a few hours sunlight, a few hours filtered sunlight and the rest of the day it has light (not under patio roof but basically shade.
so, pinch off, move to slightly less direct sunlight while it is recuperrating but DON"T overwater!!!!

btw, if necesary these plants can be cut back as much as necessary.

good luck,
dory

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
WANT: Anyone have any lipstick plant cuttings to trade for postag
Im looking for lipstick plant cuttings. I cant find...
tlbean2004
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™