Non-Invasive Honeysuckle for z4

ace1rush(z4 WI)September 18, 2006

Hi,

My neighbors here in south-eastern Wisconsin have what he called a honeysuckle bush. This is a new subdivision and the plant is about two years old. Each spring they cut it back to about 1 foot in height. In this growing season, it's reached a height of about 3 feet. Even in late September, it still had a few yellowish-white tubular flowers. Earlier in the year it had a very nice fragrance. Any ideas of what type of honeysuckle this was? They purchased it from a reputable nursery, so I wouldn't think it's invasive.

I'm looking for a fragrant bush to plant along our lot line with the neighbor. Something to attract hummingbirds would be nice as well. I have a bed in place with 3 Hawthorne trees. There is plenty of room for bushes and flowers. The lot line is also a swale line for drainage, we're on the side of a hill. Because of this, this area can get a lot of water during thunderstorms. Our clay soil will really hang on to that moisture. We'll need something that can tolerate the moisture.

I was hoping to find a honeysuckle bush because my wife really likes the smell. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ace1rush

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ankraras(8/9AZ)

I am certainly lacking knowledge of bush or vine honeysuckle that would be a none invasive type. Especially one that would thrive in your climate zone.

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 7:34PM
mare2(5bSt.Louis)

Sorry I don't know anything about bush honeysuckles, but below is just one site I found by Googling "bush honeysuckle." If you click on the links at the bottom, maybe the pictures will help you i.d. your neighbor's shrub.

You mentioned your neighbors cut theirs back each year, though, and to me it seems a shame to fight the plant's natural growth like that. How big do you want it to get? I would recommend clethra alnifolia, which would stay smaller ('hummingbird' I think is the smallest)and could take your zone and soil conditions. Not sure if they attract hummingbirds, but 'ruby spice' is a nice pink color. Some varieties also turn a pretty shade of yellow in fall. Just a thought.
'Mare

Here is a link that might be useful: invasive honeysuckles

Bookmark   September 22, 2006 at 9:59AM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

I have a Honeysuckle called Woodbine Honeysuckle. It smells plenty fragrant but not that strong as that of the regular one. After flowering, there is a cluster of bright red berries. It can stand -20 to -10 degree F for Zone 5-9.

The instruction indicates to prune annually to control the size. Make a raised bed for planting. Most regular plants hate wet feet.

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™