Lilacs

georgiapeach365(8)April 16, 2013

Does anyone know if there are lilacs that will grow and bloom in middle GA?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herboil

Of course there are... They sell them at garden centers if you can find a big one.

I for one don't really like the smell of Lilacs, but many people LOVE them.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:11PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I'm in NE Georgia and I have some lilacs. I had 5, but 2 died 2 years ago. I think from the hot dry weather. The ones I still have do bloom, but not as well as they do up north. It's totally dependent on how many chill hours you get over the winter. Also, they have a tendency to bud out if we get a warm spell in Jan or Feb and then that bud will get frosted out if it gets cold. This year, with the long cool spring, they didn't bud out until recently so I am hoping to have a nice bloom. There are varieties that do better in zone 8. I forget the names, but if you google it you can probably find them.

I do love the smell of lilac. So for me, just getting one or two blooms a year is nice. Right now I have some creeping phlox blooming and it does smell a lot like lilac. Very nice.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 6:53AM
herboil

Oh wow... I work in a garden center, which is the DREAM JOB.. and we have a bunch of that phlox. also some of my neigh-boors have it and it makes a carpet and is BEAUTIFUL!!

I will have to smell it and compare it to lilacs, because we have both.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:05PM
raptor1

my lilacs are in bloom right now and the fragrance is overwhelming. If one wants a lilac that will do will in middle ga then Mrs KIM is the chose people stop by and some walking have ask me what do to make these so full and all i say is Mr Kim lilacs and plenty of mulch.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™