The real hedychium Tac Moto

bobtrannJanuary 27, 2013

Hi.

Does anyone grow hedychium "Tac Moto?" Did I get the right plant? I got it from Aloha Tropicals years ago. The first one I got from them was white. This was a replacement. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5

Not much activity on this forum for a long time....I don't grow Tac Moto and it doesn't seem to be that common. I looked it up in the book, Hardy Gingers, by T.M.E. Branney, which is a great reference book. He describes Tac Moto, "The large flowers are powerfully fragrant and a bright canary yellow with a darker golden labellum patch. The lateral staminodes are paddle shaped and the rounded labellum has a notched tip. The stamens are moderately extended and golden yellow."

I'd say your plant matches the description, but of course, there are a lot of yellow gingers. As far as getting a white and then a yellow under the same name, if you search this forum for "Aloha Tropicals" you'll find that in past years many people have complained of plants that are mislabeled and/or don't match the pictures on the web site.

Sorry I don't have more knowledge of this variety. It looks beautiful, by the way.

Bob

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
Grocery store ginger root
Can I buy whole ginger root at the grocery store ,plant...
lillypon22
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
free ginger
i have 1 acre of ginger that i must thin out they are...
jerry39
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™