episcia

frankiemygirl(z5IN)August 4, 2004

hello this is my first time posting a message so if i do it wrong please bear with me. ive been looking for a chocolate soldier and in the process ive gotten interested in episcia and would like to start growing them. does anyone know of a nursery in indiana preferably close to indianapolis that carries them? every one i look up is more into outdoor hoping someone out there is from indy! thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. look forward to viewing more of this site thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hello,

Welcome to the forum! You are going to have a tough time finding episcias at a regular greenhouse. You will probably have to locate a store that specializes in African Violet's or gesnariads. I would suggest that you consider ordering episcias through mail order. Below are a couple of web sites that sell episcias.

I hope this helps.

Larry

RobÂs Violets

http://www.robsviolet.com/episcia.htm

Pats pets

http://www.jcn1.com/patspets/EPISCIA.HTM

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 12:27AM
sherrica(High Mountain Desert)

One thing to keep in mind when looking for a chocolate soldier is; often when a regular nursery has episcias they call them all chocolate soldiers as if the names episcia and chocolate soldier are interchangeable. If you really want to know the names of your episcias perhaps it is better to order from a reputable place such as those mentioned.

Sherri

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 11:27AM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

Lyndon Lyons Greenhouses grows beautiful starter plants of everything, including episcias. They are mailorder and located in NY state. The old 'Choc. Soldier' was a variety with a brown leaf and a simple silver midrib pattern. But as noted above is a name used for any episcia--esp. brown and silver types like Acajou.

Jon

Bookmark   August 8, 2004 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
WANT: Anyone have any lipstick plant cuttings to trade for postag
Im looking for lipstick plant cuttings. I cant find...
tlbean2004
How to create trade list?
How do I create trade list in Houzz? I have A violets,...
Debbie
What have we here?
Grown from a forgotten seed batch: Some kind of Kohleria...
rusty_blackhaw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™